1966 40HP Johnson Super Seahorse

EastTNHunter

Cadet
I haven't posted recently as I have been working a lot and have had little time to mess with extracurricular activities. I recently acquired a 16' semi-v jon boat with a bad 50hp Merc. I traded my 14' v-hull for a 1966 40hp Super Seahorse and matching mostly complete parts motor. The prop is held in place by a round metal pin which is then secured by a plastic cap with a woodruff key and cotter key. This just seems a little less than secure for my thinking, as there is a lot of inertia going on at that prop, and I was wondering;
A: What is the name of this plastic cap and where can I find a replacement/spare? (Wouldn't you know that this was one of the few missing parts, even though there were 3 props)
B: Has anyone else found a more secure (bullet proof) way of retaining the prop

I was just expecting a castle nut or something and this seems a little flimsy.

Thanks and God Bless, Ryan

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: 1966 40HP Johnson Super Seahorse

It really doesn't hold the prop on at all. The drive pin going through the prop hub holds the prop on. The prop nut keeps the drive pin from falling out. The prop only tries to come off of the motor when the motor is in reverse, otherwise it is shoving itself forward against the gearcase. Anyway, the prop nut (or retainer) is OMC part number: PROP NUT 0305294. A grand total of $8.30

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Be sure to use ONLY a stainless steel cotter pin. If there is a weakness to the system, it is people using a steel pin, which rusts and falls out, then there goes the prop.

Also, the drive pin is just that--a DRIVE pin. Not a shear pin. It is made of stainless steel. Shear pins are designed to break. Drive pins are not.

EastTNHunter

Cadet

It really doesn't hold the prop on at all. The drive pin going through the prop hub holds the prop on. The prop nut keeps the drive pin from falling out. The prop only tries to come off of the motor when the motor is in reverse, otherwise it is shoving itself forward against the gearcase. Anyway, the prop nut (or retainer) is OMC part number: PROP NUT 0305294. A grand total of $8.30

So this is called a "prop nut" even though there are no threads? Thanks for the part #