Weird trailer tire wear

tawood

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I recently towed my boat about 1000 miles for vacation, and it is having some weird tire wear and I can't figure out why....
The tires are wearing like they are seriously under inflated: both tires, on both inner and outer sides, are very worn, yet the center 3 or 4 inches of tread look brand new with almost no wear. They have actually worn on the inner and outer edges to the point that there is NO TREAD LEFT AT ALL! This was all worn away over the 1000 mile trip. I check tire pressures very frequently, and they are both set exactly as they say on the trailer AND tire at 50 psi each cold (and I use a digital gauge, checked with a mechanical gauge for accuracy). My tires are each rated for 1850 lbs, and my boat and trailer only total about 2700 lbs. Trailer is leaf spring with solid axle. And just a side note: I never, EVER, tow over 60 mph, period.
Any idea why they would wear like this?

a70eliminator

Captain
Re: Weird trailer tire wear

I don't but could the rim width be wrong for the tire? I know tires specify rim width but don't know how much of an impact it would have.

Shrike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cant say for sure whats wrong but sure sounds like under inflation or too much weight. When you replace the tires put the biggest Trailer tire that wont rub and are rated for 80psi. and run at least 70psi.

whitjohn

Cadet

You might also need to check the axle alignment to make sure that it's not bent or slightly canted on the trailer frame, or again, overloaded.
If so it could be kinda skidding the tires slightly as it pulls on the road. Look at the axle with the boat loaded and see if the axle looks bowed downward and the tires angled inward at the top.

It seems like a lot of trailer mfg's put axles on that are marginal at best for the weight of the boat. I bought a 22' pontoon that probably weighs 3300 lbs and the trailer had about a 2000# axle. I bought a kit with two 3500 lb axles and replaced it. Difference is day and night.

Shrike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't but could the rim width be wrong for the tire? I know tires specify rim width but don't know how much of an impact it would have.

If the rim width is much too wide for the tire it might cause your problem.

j_martin

Admiral

Cant say for sure whats wrong but sure sounds like under inflation or too much weight. When you replace the tires put the biggest Trailer tire that wont rub and are rated for 80psi. and run at least 70psi.

Be careful.
Rims also have a max air pressure rating, and too much air can cause the rim to tear, or worse yet throw some metal at you.

mtp9302

Seaman Apprentice

I have the exact same wear description, I am trying to figure this out also. My first thought was underinflation, but I also keep my tires at 50 psi, just like it says on the sidewall.

I was reading another thread on here and came away with the idea that it is probably a bent/undercapacity axle. Now that I look at it again, sometimes it does look like the tires are bending into the trailer center at rest; I say sometimes because the trailer is usually not on completely level terrain so it's hard to tell.

Let us know if you find anything; I've read of a few people on here with a similar problem description.

tuffshot

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Check and repack the wheel bearings.

You may also check the brake system, hydraulic or electrical brakes, one could be sticking.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Another thing to consider is the tires them self. Are they brand name tires, or are they chinese cheapies? A poorly constructed tire (poorly made/designed carcass) w/ rubber made from eraser tips, and pieces of gum that got scraped off the sidewalk will wear in bad ways, and may flex enough in the middle to cause the wear pattern you have.

It seems a bit illogical for axle bending in or out to cause BOTH the inner and outer tread to wear. If the axle were to bend in, the hubs would go to positive camber, and wear the inner edges of the tires alone. If the axle were bent out, the tires would be at negative camber, and wear the outside edges of the tires alone. Positive and negative toe would scrub the tires across the whole tread face, and may make the trailer a handful to keep in a strait line.

Pelletmonster

Seaman Apprentice

Any way of putting a picture of the tire tread and how there worn themselves?

also would like to know the tire size...... ex: ST175/80 D13 OR R13

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

What you describe is pretty typical with a bias ply trailer tire. If they aren't running in a straight line, their built in stiffness has a ton of resistance while turning corners. If you had a particularly curvy trip, you're going to see a lot of edge wear. Radials don't do this and wear evenly with less rolling resistance. Sounds like you're due to replace them now, I'd make the switch to radials and find myself a set of Maxxis. Best tires out there for my money.

Pelletmonster

Seaman Apprentice

DOCKWRECKER ~ took the thoughts right out of my head.. thats why i was asking for tire size on D/R on the tire size..

D= Bias Ply , fine around town and local trips
R= Radial BEST tires out there for short and long trips..

GOOD LUCK !

Yellow Yota

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I vote to check bearings as well. Jack up one side, grab the top and bottom of the tire, and try to wiggle the top and bottom in and out. If it clunks at all, you need to, at the very least, adjust your bearings.

And, yes. Radials for the win.

dutchdog

Seaman

Try this if you can. Spread some chalk dust, flour,or baby powder in front of your tires (thin layer) on a flat surface (blacktop works good) and pull your trailer through it. Spread it inline with the tire in a line long enough to go all the way around the tire. Just pouring it on the tire will not work. Too much will fill the tread. You want to just cover the part of the tire that touches the road. Look at the pattern left on the blacktop. You should see a pattern just like if you drew it on the road ( clean and clear ). No pattern in the middle means center of tire bowed in. Scrubbed pattern means axle needs alignment. You can tell a lot by this as to what your tires are doing. Hope this helps.

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I bet a bent axle causing them to drag.

j_martin

Admiral

Nothing here really makes sense to me but undersized or underinflated.

If a boat gains weight, either from water absorption, or being used as a cargo trailer, it's pretty easy to go overweight on stock tires.

my 02
John

mtp9302

Seaman Apprentice

DOCKWRECKER ~ took the thoughts right out of my head.. thats why i was asking for tire size on D/R on the tire size..

D= Bias Ply , fine around town and local trips
R= Radial BEST tires out there for short and long trips..

GOOD LUCK !

For what it's worth to the OP, my ties are indeed Bias Plys as Dockwrecker and Pelletmonster suggested so I'm attributing my wear to that (we'll see how the radials do when I replace them). Thanks for asking the question and thanks for everyone sharing their knowledge.