Bang!! What happened?

jaybirddog11

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1979 100hp chrysler (1007h9a)
My boat was running great yesterday, then out of the blue, BANG. We hear a load bang and the motor locked up. I cant turn the flywheel. I took the cowling off, I checked the engine temp but it was not hot. I think I found where the bang came from (see pic). I am not sure what it is but I think it pushed through the side wall of the engine. Any ideas what it is and what caused it? Is it fixable? This really bums me out. :(

Attachments

• bang.jpg
    bang.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 0

mnmike3

Seaman
Re: Bang!! What happened?

that looks pretty bad. kinda hard to tell but in my opinion it kinda looks like a rod sticking out which means your motor is probably done for:(

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

YEP! That's the big end of the rod sticking through the case. The cap came off and she threw the rod. Very likely the crankpin is spalled too. The engine is totaled.

Buy a short block on tha auctions and swap it onto your leg. Any Chrysler three or four cylinder block will fit. If you have a distributor, then if you buy a block from a Force or late chrysler you will also need the ignition since Chrysler changed to distributorless ignition somewhere around 82-84.

If you don't want to do that, sell the power trim (if it has one), ignition and lower unit from your engine on the auctions. As parts, the engine is worth more than it was when running.

jaybirddog11

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, that does suck. Is there something I did wrong? Could I have prevented it from happening?
I just got this thing running great after about 5 years of tinkering, what a bummer. I think I will be auctioning off parts instead of rebuilding as Lake Mead will no longer allow older 2-strokes beginning 2013. Now I just have to find a crap load of $$$ for a new 4-stroke. Any suggestions?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

From what I can see in the photo, it looks like a rod big end cap bolt snapped and she threw the rod. Unless you did a rebuild and did not torque the cap bolts to specs, you did nothing wrong.

Throwing a rod with age is a bit rare, but not unheard of. The cap bolts can fatigue with age.

my1stboat1

Petty Officer 1st Class

u mixed the fuel correctly could have caused that

The Hammer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thats it for that block, its the connecting rod your lookin at. If you take a hammer and belt it back inside the flywheel should turn again. Likely destroyed the crank too. Should be able to part it out for some cash.