Washing/Waxing Gel Coated Fiberglass Boat

Marielw

Recruit
Hi ... new to the forum. Newbie boat owner. I have seen this addressed in previous threads, but some were as old as 2002 and 2006. Maybe there's better info out now.

What product should we use to wash and then wax our boat? We JUST had the oxidation buffed, waxed/polished. We had the hull repaired ... found chunks out of the strakes and cracks in the hull. We REALLY want to keep the finish now that's it's been done professionally.

Thanks for your input/info.

Chaparralboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Washing/Waxing Gel Coated Fiberglass Boat

Well coming from a mobile detailer (me), since the boat was just done, I would get a 6 inch orbital buffer, and go get mcquiers boat products. They have wa,polish, wash, non skid deck wash ect..and just keep it clean. Keep the water line extra clean. I charge a larger amount of money to people with Bad ugly yellow water lines. Sometimes I have to use 2000 grit sand paper to get it new again. And orbital buffer is safe. Wash, polish, wax and you will be good to go

Marielw

Recruit

Thanks! Is it OK to use a diluted simple green for washing the boat? And is the McQuire's a boat specific type of wax? We have a bottle that was for our RV.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

Simple green works quite well. For removing the bathtub ring, the quicker you get to it, the easier it'll be to remove. Gelcoat isn't the same as automotive clearcoat so don't be afraid to use heavy duty cleaners. Just remember to reapply the wax you're removing.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

There is nothing better on the market for boats than Colinite.
Clean the surface with w/ Collinite 920 fiberglass boat cleaner. Follow that up with a coat of Collintie 885 Heavy Duty Paste Wax. Wait two weeks and apply a second of coat of 885. Should easily last a year.

For clean up, you should be able to get by with just water. If you feel you need some kind of a "cleaner" use car wash soap or Ivory dish washing soap. Avoid detegents, they strip wax.

http://www.collinitemarine.com/products.htm#885

Chaparralboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Degreesers are good but they remove and wax or polish you have applied before. So yes use simple green or purple power to remove water lines. But apply another coat of wax after. You can use dawn as well but that has the same effect as degreasers. Don't use the dawn with bleach. Autozone won't carry marine wax. But overtones carries Mcquiers marine products