oil leak. Quick fix?

scoflaw

Ensign
Just sprung a pretty good oil leak from my oil pan. The best I can see, it looks to be at the drain plug. 2000 5.0. the only corrosion I can see on the pan is right around the drain plug. The plug never gets used. Trying to avoid pulling the motor in the middle of the season.Thinking about changing the plug gasket, clean the area as best I can, and lay on some marine tex around that whole area. Any better ideas or product to use?

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: oil leak. Quick fix?

Change the plug seal. forget the rest of the over kill.

a70eliminator

Captain

And thats exactly why I'm so annal about keeping the bilge dry and free of any standing water to prevent rust and corrosion.
If it is in fact rusted through to the point where it's leaking I probably wouldn't even touch it right now, the only thing I mignt try is some 2 part epoxie like that tootsie roll stuff, I've seen firemen use it to stop up leaking gas tanks, just mix it together and slam it on.

scoflaw

Ensign

With the light and mirror, its hard to say, how corroded the pan really is. seeing I dont use the plug and don't want to do another oil change in the next couple of days. Where do you find this tootsie roll stuff?

a70eliminator

Captain

Just about any auto parts store, even wally world or walmart usually has it. It cures withing a couple minutes after mixing so you have to be fast.
you don't want the type that comes in tubes like liquid steel because it would be too messy and hard to work with in such a tight place, the toostie roll stuff is easy, break off a couple inches, roll it into a ball and push it on there.