Replace the whole floor, or what's rotted.

Hawk Eyes

Seaman Apprentice
I have a rotted spot on my floor around the floor hatch on my 1986 19' Bayliner. I was going to cut out what was rotted and replace it and didn't want to take up the whole floor unless I need to.

Whats your thoughts on partial floor replacement?

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Replace the whole floor, or what's rotted.

I can almost guarantee you that if you have a softspot on your bayliner, your whole deck is rotted. I would also check the stringers and transom. 9 out of 10 times when someone starts ripping up a old deck, they find a lot more than they bargained for.

lowvlot

Petty Officer 1st Class

I concur with above post. I bought my 87 bayliner a few years ago and it had a hole next to the ski locker. I did a quick repair to get it on the water and now am in the process of a complete reno. I would replace the entire thing. I did however get lucky and I do not have to replace stringers ar transom.

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

If its not broke dont fix everything! If you like fishing more than remodel fix the little stuff till its time.

jonesg

Admiral

If you get a flat tire, just change the flat part.:p

Hawk Eyes

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the replys guys, I had a feeling that I should just do whole thing. It started feeling soft this spring and I drilled some holes to see how for it was rotted and it only seems to be about a foot around the hatch so I hope it didn't make it to the stringers. I will be pulling up the whole floor this fall and doing it right.

I don't want to go back to carpet for floor covering, any suggestions?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I don't want to go back to carpet for floor covering, any suggestions?

Lots of options. Durabak, Kiwi Grip, paint with sand in it, or marine vinyl. I used marine vinyl on my project and am pleased with it so far.

foodfisher

Captain

In/out door carpet is nice to look at and feels good on bare feet. Just don't glue it down for easy removal and cleaning.