Carb warped, not seating correctly

mbecke2

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ive been troubleshooting my motor 1989 johnson 140 looper for a while now. Pulled all the carbs and cleaned them thoroughly with carb cleaner and compressed air. Replaced spaghetti gaskets and side gaskets on all 4. Noticed when I was installing the last carb (lowest left) that it wasnt seating flush against the throat no matter how good I tightened the 4 bolts. It appears as if that carb is warped. Has anyone had this problem and do I have to buy a new carb or can I use gasket maker and just seal it up real good?

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: Carb warped, not seating correctly

How big is the "gap"
Any chance of a photo ??

jonesg

Admiral

Noticed when I was installing the last carb (lowest left) that it wasnt seating flush against the throat no matter how good I tightened the 4 bolts. It appears as if that carb is warped. Has anyone had this problem and do I have to buy a new carb or can I use gasket maker and just seal it up real good?

Overtightening will warp the plastic.
Snug the bolts down in stages so the carb is drawn against the manifold evenly.

If that doesn't work , remove carb and place on a sheet of glass to check for flatness, if its warped you can dress it by doing figure 8's on fine wet and dry paper.

Al-53

Chief Petty Officer

If the bowls are plastic..there is a lot of posts here with your problem....seems like this is a common problem...It seems they addressed the problem by making metal bowls...

tightening to much will cause it to bow more in the center...

you can try to Lap it flat as jones said..or get the metal bowls...

if it were me...I would replace them for a secure feeling they won't leak 5 miles from home port

Al

mbecke2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

How do I post pictures??

Al-53

Chief Petty Officer

load the pictures in photobucket.com....then when the pictures are loaded...copy the line that says IMG and then insert in the post......

there may be other ways..but thats the only way I know of...sorry....

Al

Sir Robin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Al & jones know of which they speak,,......They helped me to get going.
Is it the bowls that are warped or the base? Over time, plastic will relax causing the bowl to '' smile'' looking at it from the side.
It looks as though it is your base, though. I used #400 wet or dry on my bowls, double sticky taped to my granite surface plate and used a figure 8 motion, slowly turning in the process, though i think a piece of 3/16 glass on a smooth surface would work. The base may not be as easy as their needs to be enough groove left to hold the o-ring, so sand SLOWLY and watch as you go

I've herad ofmetal bowls on this website, but I haven't been able to locate any thus far. My dealers says they are non-existant. I'm going to try a couple more dealers and then go to evinrude. I'll post a number on here if I can find the part. Buy OEM needles and seats.sierra needles and seats stick, and will leave you dead on the water.:eek:

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

No metal or aluminum bowls offered or made for 1 barrel looper carbs....

Sir Robin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just wondering if it's going yet?