How NOT to go Jug Fishing

wcsd106

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok. I wish I'd taken the time to either take a video or some pictures but I guess I was too ticked off to do so at the time.

Today I took a good friend of mine and his son out on my boat to do some fishing. When we were heading back to the launch ramp, I noticed what I thought were gulls sitting on the water.

As we got closer I noticed that someone had strung white jugs from the north shore of the lake to the south shore approximately every 10 feet. They even set them out in the main channel.

I quickly got us off of plane and proceeded slowly towards the jugs. It's a good thing I did. As we got closer, I turned the boat and pulled up one of the jugs to check for a name and phone number. It wasn't labeled but I did notice that it was connected to the jugs on either side of it with heavy trot line twine. What I had first thought was birds, and later thought was just jugs turned out to be a giant floating trot line stretching the entire width of the lake.

The owner of the trot line was a local idiot that my buddy and I both know well through our professional careers (Career not mentioned but left for interpretation) I then noticed he was in a boat approximately 100 yards away watching us closely with binoculars.

To make a long story short, we got through and made sure that no twine was able to even come close to the motor.

To make matters worse, they set the jugs out in one of the last few areas of the lake still zoned for skiing and tubing.

According to lake regulations Trot Lines and Jug Lines are only allowed from 1800-0600 hours and must be taken out of the water during daylight hours.

Their little floating minefield could have easily ruined someone's day or possibly even gotten someone hurt, seriously injured, or killed.

itsaboattime

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: How NOT to go Jug Fishing

Watched a family "catch" a trot line with their Maxxim last year. The "fisherman" only had two floats on a line that stretched all the way across the river.

Ever seen a speed boat come off plane to a complete stop in less than 5 seconds??

It ain't pretty!!

j_martin

Admiral

Ok. I wish I'd taken the time to either take a video or some pictures but I guess I was too ticked off to do so at the time.

Today I took a good friend of mine and his son out on my boat to do some fishing. When we were heading back to the launch ramp, I noticed what I thought were gulls sitting on the water.

As we got closer I noticed that someone had strung white jugs from the north shore of the lake to the south shore approximately every 10 feet. They even set them out in the main channel.

I quickly got us off of plane and proceeded slowly towards the jugs. It's a good thing I did. As we got closer, I turned the boat and pulled up one of the jugs to check for a name and phone number. It wasn't labeled but I did notice that it was connected to the jugs on either side of it with heavy trot line twine. What I had first thought was birds, and later thought was just jugs turned out to be a giant floating trot line stretching the entire width of the lake.

The owner of the trot line was a local idiot that my buddy and I both know well through our professional careers (Career not mentioned but left for interpretation) I then noticed he was in a boat approximately 100 yards away watching us closely with binoculars.

To make a long story short, we got through and made sure that no twine was able to even come close to the motor.

To make matters worse, they set the jugs out in one of the last few areas of the lake still zoned for skiing and tubing.

According to lake regulations Trot Lines and Jug Lines are only allowed from 1800-0600 hours and must be taken out of the water during daylight hours.

Their little floating minefield could have easily ruined someone's day or possibly even gotten someone hurt, seriously injured, or killed.

I think I would have gently lifted the line over the boat, hooked it into the ski tow, and taken the whole string for a wild ride, then piled up the whole mess in a tangle on shore at the other end of the lake.

That's beyond ridiculous, setting a line like that is malicious.

DDG53

Cadet

Hahah I like the last thread.......:D

wcsd106

Petty Officer 2nd Class

J_Martin after we got off of the lake I said something very similar to that. Best I can tell nobody was hurt, but the Fish & Wildlife officers have been made aware of the situation.