which trolling motor and why?

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: which trolling motor and why?

My favorite is my motorguide 70 brute. Why -8t is the first and only one I have ever owned. If money were no issue, one of the wireless units would be nice, but mine works fine and is paid for. Good luck with the decision.

roncoop75

Petty Officer 1st Class

i need a new trolling motor. What is you favorite and why?

Could you be a little bit more specific? Transom, bow or motor (L/U) mounted? Foot (cable or electronic), tiller or wireless remote operated? This thing lugging around a pontoon boat, bass boat or little 14' fishing boat?

I'm sure everyone has their favorites but if you threw a completely different boat at them they may change their minds.

Me, I've never had a problem with Minn Kota. But then I've always had little 14'er's. Next one will be bow mount, haven't decided on cable or electric steer yet.

Bifflefan

Commander

Most everyone (I dont have one) says Minnkota, and only Minnkota and nothing but Minnkota.

I cant tell you why, but thats the buzz I hear.

199675hpforce

Petty Officer 1st Class

Minnkota for a reason, people who work on them like them better. Each has it's issues but Minn has lots parts and good information on fixing them. Autopilots do have the quirks on older units due to loss of fluid in compass. If you buy a brand new one though may as well get new ipilot system its bad arse and offers both the remote and Ap function. I use mine for trolling low speed,bass fishing love it! Depending on your boat you might want 24v system 70lb dual battery setup. Im running 55pound thrust 12v which I love but hear 24v is even better.

nacoa

Recruit

Thanks all,

I guess i could have been more descriptive. it is going on a 20 ft. Skeeter bass boat, bow mount.

I am leaning toward the i piolt, so if anyone has any feedback on those i wouold like to hear it.

peace