1977 evinrude 140 added too much oil, now won't run

cheft

Cadet
I took out my 1977 evinrude 140 model 140743S and mixed the gas with 1 quart oil to 6 gallons instead of 1 pint to six gallons. Ran badly for about a half hour then motor quit and I couldn't start it again. I found my gas mistake and corrected the mix and replaced the plugs and then the engine would only throttle up to a 1/4 speed at full throttle. I then replaced the plugs again and with the warm up lever up the engine started to surge from high idle to barely able to remain running it continued to surge for 2 minutes then it would not start again. it seems to be firing on only 2 cylinders . I just rebuilt carbs before this happened and replaced fuel pump and timer base and power pack as well as timing and syncing linkage. how badly did I hurt this engine with the way too rich mixture and what should I do to troubleshoot the problems? thank you in advance for any help anyone can give me.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: 1977 evinrude 140 added too much oil, now won't run

Hate to tell you this, but you did absolutely no damage running 24:1 in your motor and it is not the cause of your issues.

cheft

Cadet

THATS GREAT NEWS TO ME, I have since found that the fuel pump that i replaced is leaking at the gasket where the fuel line screws in because it is way over tightened and I think it may be the source of my issues, could that cause the engine to surge and then die out, then surge again. I can hear air escaping when I squeeze the gas bubble as well as it leaking gas at the gasket where the plastic front piece screws on.

tphoyt

Ensign

Hi
I agree with whaler on the no damage done and it sounds like you are on the right track with the fuel pump.

Good luck