Darned Ole Cheap zip lock baggies

Dave Barnett

Petty Officer 1st Class
My sons and I went fishing yesterday on a local CA lake. As I always do, I put my cell phone, wallet and hearing aid in a zip lock bag. I thought I had the bag sealed good but as I went to get out of the boat I picked up the bag and my cell phone and wallet went for a swim. The zip lock either wasn't closed all the way or it gave out. All was fine in the end, phone and wallet contents dried out and no harm done. Thank God my hearing aid didn't fall out. That is the last time I will ever try to save a dollar on chepo bags. :D

Sikiguya

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Darned Ole Cheap zip lock baggies

It is worse to pay too little.

It is unwise to pay too much but it is worse to pay too little.

When you pay too much, you sometimes lose a little money, that?s all.

When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do.

The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. It can?t be done.

If you buy from the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run and if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better.

John Ruskin 1819-1900

nofuss

Petty Officer 2nd Class

since all my toys are now water proof except for car remote and phone, I have a spare key on the boat keys to open the truck and i lock the keys inside. Parked in a secured lot. alarm goes off when i open but i have the remote right there to silence. then i use a little trick that i actually learned from a girl. I put my phone in a condom and tie the top. tied tight it is actually submersible to, well tested to 6 feet and you can use the phone quite normally through it.
now maam thats the only reason i carry the condom in the glove box. :p

No Fuss :D

SeanT

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Store keepers look at you even funnier now when you buy condoms, muttering "They're for my cell phone."

a70eliminator

Captain

I wonder how this girl learned that trick, she call it her phonedo?
Seriously it sounds like a very good trick thanks I'm going to try it, just have to worry about how to expalin that one.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

$5 water proof box from wally world. Solves all the problems and cheaper than a box of ziplocs.

seaboo

Petty Officer 1st Class

$5 water proof box from wally world. Solves all the problems and cheaper than a box of ziplocs.

+1
I bought one, I put my wallet, cell, smokes, ect., in it. Stores easy, everything is in 1 place and it is easy to grab and carry at a marina or wherever you stop for a burger. I laughed when I first bought it and made jokes about it being my "purse". Great investment (I have bought several for my boating friends as a cheep random present/thank you gift).

ps
@ my wally world their 8 bucks but still a bargain

itsaboattime

Senior Chief Petty Officer

since all my toys are now water proof except for car remote and phone, I have a spare key on the boat keys to open the truck and i lock the keys inside. Parked in a secured lot. alarm goes off when i open but i have the remote right there to silence. then i use a little trick that i actually learned from a girl. I put my phone in a condom and tie the top. tied tight it is actually submersible to, well tested to 6 feet and you can use the phone quite normally through it.
now maam thats the only reason i carry the condom in the glove box. :p

No Fuss :D

This will be the first time I buy condoms in bout 15 years. But that is a genius idea!!

ifallsguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I wonder how this girl learned that trick, she call it her phonedo?

This reminds me of the survival kits issued to flight crews of Air Force jets. It included several condoms. Back when I was in AFROTC and would spend time flying with the detachment commander (my schedule for classes allowed a lot of time to fly backseat in T-33s and T-38s), I asked the technician who issued our gear exactly why they were included.

The AF included nonlubed condoms as water containers. He demonstrated by filling one with over 1 quart of water. The idea was these made very thin and light water containers that could be carried by downed airmen. Made water transport and treatment easier that anything else. Since then, I've heard that from others who flew for the US and foreign militaries.

I don't know if these were offical issue or something individuals came up with.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

+1
I bought one, I put my wallet, cell, smokes, ect., in it. Stores easy, everything is in 1 place and it is easy to grab and carry at a marina or wherever you stop for a burger. I laughed when I first bought it and made jokes about it being my "purse". Great investment (I have bought several for my boating friends as a cheep random present/thank you gift).

ps
@ my wally world their 8 bucks but still a bargain

And they have a key fob type thing on them so I just clip that to the control cables. Always in the same spot and if anything every happened I don't loose it. Well worth it once you replace on cell phone that has gotten wet. River supply companies also sell roll top dry bad fanny packs that work really well, just haven't gotten one yet.