Eliminating oil injection /1995 25 hp

AL MOSER

Recruit
I have a 1995 25 hp mlht yamama outboard with automatic oil injection.
the motor seized last year so i pulled it apart and found that a bearing seperator in the center of the crank came loose and tore it self up. Has anyone ever seen this happen??? A steel roll pin holds this seal in place and it bent and came out of its cradel?? this maybe was on lack of oil problem but not sure?? it did not distroy the aluminum block only itself????( very strange)
ANYWAY.......
My main reason for this post is to ask a question in reference to eliminating the oil injection all togeather?
The crankshaft oil pump drive gear is shot and very expensive to replace so a mechanic told me to just eliminate the oil injection system all togeather and mix the oil and gas in the tank. Does any one see this as a problem ??? i have received mixed answers and opinions to this questions.. any help would be greatly appreciated!

freetime99

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Eliminating oil injection /1995 25 hp

I believe any of the 2 strokes, other than DI designed engines, will work with mixing gas/oil at 50 : 1. The big question is , do you really know what caused that failure ?

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Eliminating oil injection /1995 25 hp

You can go to premix on that motor and just eliminate "one more thing to go wrong". The Yamaha oil injection systems are very dependable, BUT they are a mechanical system and CAN malfunction. The premix is better from an internal engine parts corrosion prevention standpoint, since the oil injection runs such a lean oil mixture, especially at lower RPM's, like just before docking, removing boat from water, etc. My 90HP Yamaha is a premix and it's no big deal to add the oil to the gas tank before filling it up. Also, without the oil tanks, pumps, plumbing, etc., the rest of the motor is easier for me to see and work on. Good luck with your repair!