2007 F250TUR Oil Change

steamplant

Cadet
Hi.

I have a 2007 30 FT sailfish with twin Yam F250TUR engines, the oil changes alone cost almost $400, wondering if this is something I can do myself.

I am mechanically inlcined used to doing my own work on my other boat, anyone have a procedure or manual you recommend for this motor.

I would like to do whatever I can myself

thanks

yamamarinetech40

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 2007 F250TUR Oil Change

It's really quite easy, but you will need two things....one is an 'oil sucker'...its a container with a vacuum pump on it...costs about 40 dollars....and the other is an oil filter wrench from MAC tools....and only the pliers type...i had a pair of snap on's that just weren't quite right to fit under the air box, mac's work really well...regular clamp types won't work....i have done it other ways but trust me...call a car dealer and find when you can meet the mac guy or get his number from them, he has em on his truck. The bad part of the filter change on this engine is you are gonna make a mess getting filter out of belly pan before you can stand filter up oil will spill....stuff rags under filter(lots) to soak up most of spill....make sure gasket comes off with filter...and lube new filter's gasket(smear of oil) before spinning on...DO NOT FILL TO MARK ON DIPSTICK...yamaha technical bulletin is about 2/3 of listed capacity due to oil growth potential...leave it a quart shy. You don't have to use yamalube but you had better use one of the outboard manufacturer's oils....using the yellow death or walmart oil will only cost you later.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

use 4M rated oil of the correct viscosity.
consult your owners manual.
most folks the use pliers to remove the filter, snap off the oil pressure sensor.
sensor is about 350 dollars.
use the filter cup wrench.
use a 1 gallon ziplock bag over the filter with the engine tilted to solve the mess issue.

steamplant

Cadet

Okay thanks, can you recommend a maintenance manual for this engine?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

any yamaha dealer can get you the manual. while your there look at page 2-13 of the 2006 tech guide.
pay attention to it and use the correct filter wrench.