Can your thermostat be damaged if not removed for winter storage?

knightowl

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Can your thermostat be damaged if not removed for winter storage?

What about if you had your outdrive UP all winter, can it damage the impeller or gaskets and force it to work at 75% only?

I just flushed my system, pull the plugs on the block, manifolds and raisers that's it.

Block is fine but log style manifolds are running at 210 degrees under muffs.

cr2k

Captain
Re: Can your thermostat be damaged if not removed for winter storage?

Thermo can ingest rust form the block from the winter sit. But not normally removed for winter storage. Usually replaced for PM purposes as they are cheap insurance. Only thing about drive up is if it gets any rain in it and then freeze it will split the bullet. Stored down for drainage.

Manifolds could be rusted/scaled up on the inside as well. They don't last for ever. You could remove and poke around with a long skinny screwdriver and blow/rinse out the rust/scale build up.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What engine and drive are we talking about? and year?
When was the last time the impeller was replaced? You say it runs hot on muffs, what about in the water. Could be lack of water from the muffs.

knightowl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

its 1979 350 260hp . I will try to stick a large barrow of water and test it. If i cant do that, then i will take it to the docks today for a test run before i do the any swapping.

I changed the impeller pump kit last spring.

I changed the thermostat last year.

I changed the raisers 3 years ago and log style manifolds two years ago.

I did use salt away and remember i had to poke holes in order to drain the block before winter. Could salt away screw up my impeller pump?