lost ignition key

evilwind1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Greetings to all. I recently acquired a 1977 21 ft. Cobia cuddy with a Johnson 140hp from someone who just wanted it gone. Not a bad boat as far as condition, general layout , etc. Came with reg. but key for the controls are gone. My question is what is the easiest way to remedy this issue. I'm not really concerned with having a key at all I just want to be able to start it from the control box. Can I just get a new key made from a locksmith? The key from my other OMC control box fit in and would work to start the motor and then wouldn't catch the next time, hit or miss . Should I just get a new lock cylinder? How hard is it to replace? Thanks.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: lost ignition key

There are a fixed number of keys that each have an OMC part number. The part numbers are indexed to numbers that are stamped into the face plate of the lock. Once you have the number of your lock, your BRP/Evinrude authorized dealer can provide you with a new key for something like $5.

BTW, It would not be a good idea to post the number here.

bigrockets

Seaman

Here in New Jersey we pride ourselves on being able to hot wire a car in less than 30 seconds. Taks a slide hammer, screw it into the ignition key slot, whack it until the lock cylinder pops out, take a flat blade screwdriver and stick it in the hole and start the engine. If your good it takes about 18 seconds. I can send somebody around if you can't get it yourself. You don't by any chance own a Porsche or Corvette do you?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Many dealers keep entire set's of keys and if you tow to a dealer (or remove your cylinder) they should match it.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Hey Bigrockets , Don't come down to Florida and do that 'cause we all have a lot of GUNS around here.

evilwind1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

There are a fixed number of keys that each have an OMC part number. The part numbers are indexed to numbers that are stamped into the face plate of the lock. Once you have the number of your lock, your BRP/Evinrude authorized dealer can provide you with a new key for something like $5.

BTW, It would not be a good idea to post the number here.

Thanks, that's a big help! I thought I would have to change the controls. If I can avoid all that with this info it will save alot of extra work, thanks again!!