trailer set up, would like a second set of eyes

Kolar

Cadet
I bought a 86 Regal 185 with a shoreline trailer. I've gone through and read the last 30 pages or so of posts to get a idea of what to do. I know in my mind that everything is covered but as my wife likes to remind me "Your not Mr. perfect shouldn't you have someone else look at it too":rolleyes:

Step one, set up safety chain for bow stop

Step two, remove POS big box winch and get a real one with all the teeth on it

Step three, Modify keel rollers to support the weight of the boat. I will need to cut off the aft roller and raise it to contact the keel edge. The middle and forward roller are adjustable so no issues. I know some people would say to bring the other keel rollers down to match the aft, but I cant even lower the stern drive all the way down unless I use my floor jack on the coupler to bring the tongue down. I'll be damned if I have to use loading ramps every time I come home to bring the stern drive down (joking). Unless there is a different way to approach this?:confused:

Step four, Replace bunk boards and carpet. Does it matter that the bunk boards don't match the contours of the boat just perfect? I have a funny feeling I'm going to get a lot of stuff for this question. That's okay I have more Ars than you have teeth chew away :p

I have read that if a boat is a few inches off the trailer no biggie, just to check that theory though, is six inches too much? I don't think so, second thought I'll follow my wife's advice, What do you guys think?

The rest I have already done LED trailer lights, replaced trailer coupler, new bearing and hub seals (rubber boots you smack on after your done, Sorry forgot the name of them), new tires, keeping my rusty crusty rims though.

That's about all, thanks for taking the time to read all of this.

Attachments

• P7260049.jpg
    P7260049.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 0
  • P7260050.jpg
    P7260050.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 0
  • P7260051.jpg
    P7260051.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 0
  • P7260052.jpg
    P7260052.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 0

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Re: trailer set up, would like a second set of eyes

What you have there is a bunk trailer.

Can't tell for sure by the pictures but from the one side shot it doesn't look like that boat is far enough forward on the trailer or the bunks are too short.

Also from your comment it sounds like the weight distibution is not correct either.

If the weight is indeed off moving the boat forward will correct that some.

Doernuth

Petty Officer 1st Class

The bunks are there to support the boat. They don't support if they don't touch.

Center the boat on the trailer then adjust the bunks so they support the boat. Job Done, have a beer.

Kolar

Cadet

Thanks for the reply. From the attached pics you can see I can not bring the winch any higher, unless its okay to go higher than the cross member?

I ended up breaking the winch, well more like I put some good deep marks into the gears trying to get it up the last 3 inches or so.

Maybe the gentleman that sold me the boat and trailer was wrong that the boat came with the trailer from the dealer, I don't know. I have looked at a few other trailers but I'm having a hard time finding good old boats :confused:.

I hope the latest pics help a little.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• P7270053.jpg
    P7270053.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 0
  • P7270054.jpg
    P7270054.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 0
  • P7270055.jpg
    P7270055.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 0

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Last 3 pictures look pretty good, like all is well. Only thing I see is it looks like that tongue is a little short. Also kind of looks like the winch post may have been moved back a couple inches.

Is the problem you are having getting the boat back on the trailer from the water?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Looks like there are no brakes on that trailer and that someone took off the original surge brake actuator. Do you have any idea of how much the boat weighs? What are you towing this with?

Kolar

Cadet

bonz_d I can get her up alright, it's the last couple of inches that are a bear.
I thought maybe the bunks are acting like sandpaper instead of snot slides.

The boat weighs in dry at 2250 from iboats website. Its a Regal medallion 185 xst or some such. How could I find out what the original boat came with as far as trailer set up?

Thanks for the help guys, I had a bear of a time trying to find any info for her so far.

Forgot to add, 2000 GMC truck w/ towing package V-8 vortec

Fed

Commander

Lower the winch down until the black roller is right on top of the bow eye.
Wind your winch strap on the opposite way.
(Check your ratchet to see if this is correct, I'm thinking you wind backwards if that makes any sense)
Get a safety chain.
Grease the keel rollers and adjust them up to take some weight.
Don't worry about the drop down rear roller adjustment or lack of, just grease it.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

The only thing I really see is like I said that the tongue looks rather short and that the winch post moved an inch or so back.

One thing to try would be to get the trailer a little deeper into the water when loading. Just my personal experience but I think bunk trailers are consistantly harder to load than roller trailers. By that I mean they are less forgiving as to how deep you have to have it, currents, wind, angle of the ramp.

a70eliminator

Captain

My 20' Chaparral has a similar trailer and If I don't back the trailer deep enough it won't winch up either, well I shouldn't say won't, I just don't like putting that kind of pressure on the bow eye, I picked a nice weekday when the ramps weren't busy and played with the winch post position and height and finally got it set up right, loading and unloading is now a satisfying experience rather than a dreaded one.
And I have to agree the tongue is wicked short, not that it matters for boat position.
Also it appears the hull is not being supported by the meat of the transom like it should, but it's probably close enough that it doesn't matter.

gozierdt

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think you really need to try and get the transom supported by the bunks. The transom takes a big part of the motor/sterndrive weight. Not supporting it is asking for a hook in the bottom if the boat lives on the trailer most of the time. At a minimum, even if the boat sticks back past the rearmost support for the bunks, extend the bunks to stick back far enough to support the transom. The best situation is to get the transom right over the rear frame crossmember and the bunk supports. It looks like the winch support/bow post could be moved forward a couple of inches, which would bring the transom in over the bunks, from the last set of pictures. I second getting time on a launch ramp to figure out just how deep in the water the trailer needs to be (on most ramps I just submerge the top of the fenders), so that I can winch the boat up the last foot or so, and have the bow eye end up at the right height relative to the winch post.

Kolar

Cadet

Fed, Thanks for the advise on the winch and bow stop. I understand what your saying. But on greasing the keel rollers, You mean putting grease on the rollers themselves or zerk fittings (I have no zerk fittings on my rollers) God I feel awfully green asking this, but than again I don't know. I spent many years in the navy (s***ty Kitty, Aircraft carrier) and 5 years dredging. I can navigate a 200 foot fuel barge in the middle of the night on a ICW but feel like a kid cutting teeth trying to figure this stuff out.:(

bonz_d, I think that all the ideas here will add up to an easier time with getting her on and off the trailer. I am worried about having to lay her down with a floor jack to get the stern drive all the way down so the bellows don't develop a set in them. That's why I was asking about the last keel roller and it not be adjustable.
24 years of everyone and their mother tinkering with this boat and trailer leave little to the imagination. The trailer has had some welding done to her, but with no reference to what she should look like I'm kinda shooting in the dark here.

If anybody knows where to find some pics of this set up, I'll throw them a virtual case of beer.:D

a70eliminator and gozierdt, thanks for the info, I plan this winter to go thru the set and will be adding some length to the trailer. I never even thought about moving the winch post. Sorry for not seeing your guys posts, my two finger typing leaves a lot of time before a refresh can be had.

Regards,
Kolar

Last edited:

Fed

Commander

My trailer has that drop down roller too Kolar I think it's just to give the hull a bit of a lead on. I'll get some pics for you.

Wingpilot

Cadet

FED is 100% correct- your bow stop roller should be right above the bow eye. The winch strap goes through the upright pulling the bow eye against the roller. The winch stand can be moved forward a couple inches bringing the boat toward the coupling. There should be weight on the tow vehicle- the more weight= better/smoother/straighter towing. In general, don't exceed 100/125 lbs down weight. However, if, by moving the boat forward, TOO MUCH weight is transferred to the tow vehicle, then a compromise has to be accepted. The weight of the boat should be carried by the keel rollers- including the centering roller under the transom. The "bunks" are there to keep the boat upright and square to the trailer. They are NOT designed to be weight bearing on this type of trailer. Unlike an outboard, your transom does not support the engine or the drive weight. Therefore, it is not as important as an outboard set-up to have the last keel roller directly under the transom. The outdrive is supported by the engine which is mounted on the hull stringers. BUT-ideally- that roller SHOULD be as close as possible to being under the transom.
Granted, this information is my opinion- but it has been developed over many years of setting up trailering packages for various boat retailers and trailer manufacturers. Some may disagree and that's why there are Fords and Chevys- but this is a proven successful and safe set-up. If you try it - you'll like it. I should point out that this applies to a keel-roller trailer with BUNKS. The set-up would be different for a trailer with all-bunks or a trailer with keel rollers and multiple side rollers.
Good Luck and don't forget to put the drain plug in BEFORE you launch.
PS- He's right! That winch strap should be coming off the TOP of the spool. It's coming off the bottom according to th pictures.

Last edited:

Fed

Commander

They come in all shapes & sizes that's for sure.
attachment.php

I unhook the boat & it rolls into the water by itself.

Attachments

• trailer.jpg
    trailer.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 0

Kolar

Cadet

Holy cow :eek: thanks for all the info guys. I manged to find a pick of a identical model boat and trailer, even the same color :D. The pic has the same short tongue also and the plate welded also. I trying to figure out if that is a good thing or bad thing (bad design what not). I'm looking forward to the morning so I can get outside and set up the trailer. Of course I will have to try the set up on several different lakes (different ramps, wind conditions and current make a huge factor) At least that what I will tell the wife why I'll be gone all weekend w/ the boat :D

Regards,
Kolar

Attachments

• 110542129534_2283122.jpg
    110542129534_2283122.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

Maybe I'm missing something here but that trailer looks all wrong for that boat. I'd hate to miss the ball trying to hook up, not alot of room for error to prevent slamming that winch post into you tailgate. The tongue weight must be crazy heavy. Maybe it's just the angle but that coupler looks bent up as well (from the excess tongue weight?).
When the boat is on the trailer you want it supported by the most surface area you can, which is the bunks. The rollers only provide a 1/2" at most of contact. Thats alot of weight on a small area. And when the boat is supported by the rollers it makes loading difficult as it wants to tip to the side. It should be cradled by the bunks and the rollers not in contact near the transom. As you near the front of the boat the contact with the rollers should increase to where the foremost roller has contact with the keel but the majority of weight is still supported by the bunks.

So to make a long story even longer, it looks as if you have the bunks and roller set up properly. But it looks like the boat could use to come farther forward and you could use another 2-3 feet of tongue on that thing.

Wingpilot

Cadet

Maybe I'm missing something here but that trailer looks all wrong for that boat. I'd hate to miss the ball trying to hook up, not alot of room for error to prevent slamming that winch post into you tailgate. The tongue weight must be crazy heavy. Maybe it's just the angle but that coupler looks bent up as well (from the excess tongue weight?).
When the boat is on the trailer you want it supported by the most surface area you can, which is the bunks. The rollers only provide a 1/2" at most of contact. Thats alot of weight on a small area. And when the boat is supported by the rollers it makes loading difficult as it wants to tip to the side. It should be cradled by the bunks and the rollers not in contact near the transom. As you near the front of the boat the contact with the rollers should increase to where the foremost roller has contact with the keel but the majority of weight is still supported by the bunks.

So to make a long story even longer, it looks as if you have the bunks and roller set up properly. But it looks like the boat could use to come farther forward and you could use another 2-3 feet of tongue on that thing.

Lion Hunter; As you know, everybody has an opinion, and as I stated, my opinion is the result of the school of hard knocks AND instruction from manufacturers. I would ask that you go here; http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/006270.html and read through the discussion- pay particular attention to the section on positioning the bunks. Carpet or silicone coated bunks are not designed to handle weight- and the boat will not tip over when they are set up correctly. Ed.

a70eliminator

Captain

I'm with you lion hunter, the boat doesn't fit the trailer very well at all.
Inboard outboard I/O doesn't matter the hull needs to be supported by the transom, the weight should be evenly distributed between the keel rollers and the bunks.

PS- He's right! That winch strap should be coming off the TOP of the spool. It's coming off the bottom according to th pictures.

What difference does it make?

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Lion Hunter; As you know, everybody has an opinion, and as I stated, my opinion is the result of the school of hard knocks AND instruction from manufacturers. I would ask that you go here; http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/006270.html and read through the discussion- pay particular attention to the section on positioning the bunks. Carpet or silicone coated bunks are not designed to handle weight- and the boat will not tip over when they are set up correctly. Ed.

Well I just read that link and from what I read I didn't see anything that was definitive in that post either. Many different ideas and suggestions. Though I tend to agree with the poster LHG when setting up a keel roller trailer.

For some reason I seemed to have taken up a serious interest in this subject this summer as there have been quite a number of postings as of recent on the forum here as how to setup and use tilt trailers and trailers in general.

The one point I try to make 1st of all is that now adays there are basically 3 different types of trailers. Roller, Bunk and Keel Roller. Which to my eyes are all setup, loaded, lauched and retrieved differently, or should be depending on which one has. Which type is better? Don't know, don't care!

People keep stating Bunk trailers are best because they support the wieght best and in theory I would agree "if" it is setup properly and the bunks are aligned directly under the stringers. If not then IMO it's no better than any other trailer.