How to manually pull start my (electric start) O/B

puddlesplasher

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all,

I hope the heading is self explanatory but just in case it's not I offer this question.

The O/B is a Johnson 30hp electric start by turning the key. What I need to know is how to start the O/B manually by rope, just in case anything happens to the twin batteries. Hopefully nothing will ever happen but I believe it is best to be prepared for all eventualities.:eek:

The mechanic showed me upon my questioning a little black knob, arrow shaped, right side, bottom of the engine when the O/B is transom mounted. He said that it should be in-line for normal use but to to turn it at 90 degrees to its normal position when manually starting.

Nothing else was mentioned so I presume there must be another steps to follow.

Which way does the rope wind on? What diameter of rope for the flywheel? How many wraps/turns around the flywheel. Is it easy to pull? Is there anything else I need to do?

Many thanks in advance if anyone is able to assist me. :)

Puddle.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: How to manually pull start my (electric start) O/B

Use a cord with a knot at one end and a short piece of dowl (or anthing you can grab on to) at the other end. As to the length Im sure there is a spec for what OMC recommends but not having a manual I would remove both plugs and wrap the cord around the flywheel a couple of times. Pull on the cord - the length you are looking for will give you the most turns of the flywheel and release from the flywheel before the knot starts to pull the cord and the flywheel past you (if it does and the engine starts it will create havoc). Not the best explanation but you may get the idea.

Your O/B may or may not need to be choked during the starting process.

The pull should be relatively easy. You can start V-4s & V-6s with a rope if in tune. There are those who claim they can start one of these big guys by hand - without a rope.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

One important thing too. Make sure your key switch is in the on position. In the off position, your ignition system will be grounded out and you'll be kickin a dead horse for quite some time.:cool:

mudslinging79

Petty Officer 1st Class

as for which way the rope winds on, take the cover ovv and watch which way the flywheel turns when you use the key. wrap rope opposite direction, so it will spin the flywheel the right way as you pull it off.

puddlesplasher

Seaman Apprentice

as for which way the rope winds on, take the cover ovv and watch which way the flywheel turns when you use the key. wrap rope opposite direction, so it will spin the flywheel the right way as you pull it off.

Hmmm!!! If the flywheel turns clockwise then you want me to wind the rope anticlockwise:confused:

I presume that means I am will be pulling against the flywheel and stopping it from turning:confused:

Should I rather be winding the rope in the same direction the flywheel turns so that when I pull then the flywheel turns in the same direction of my pull.

One important thing too. Make sure your key switch is in the on position. In the off position, your ignition system will be grounded out and you'll be kickin a dead horse for quite some time.:cool:

Ha! I only thought of that yesterday. I would have been kicking myself never mind the dead horse if I had did that:eek:

billsfw

Cadet

Look at the pulley. One way it will turn the pully,the other way will not. About 3 wraps is all it will hold. Maybe more if the cord is small. Just hope that you don't have to use it.

mudslinging79

Petty Officer 1st Class

your right, dont wind it backwards, what i try to do is hook the end and turn the flywkeel backwards to wind it. then i know when the compression/ignition stroke is so i can put it in close to the middle of my pull, builds up some speed for a good spark.

puddlesplasher

Seaman Apprentice

your right, dont wind it backwards, what i try to do is hook the end and turn the flywkeel backwards to wind it. then i know when the compression/ignition stroke is so i can put it in close to the middle of my pull, builds up some speed for a good spark.

Phew! I was sure I had read it wrong.

Your method is similar to taking up the tension on most pull-start items and certainly makes sense. This will give me the most amount power for the least amount of effort. :)

Does anyone know about the little lever that I have mentioned? :confused:

Perhaps I need to take a picture.