Fuel Filter

The Hammer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi, I'm new to iboats, I have a 1988 35hp Force model 357Y88. I want to change the fuel filter because I haven't in the 4 years I owned it and don't know if the previous owner have either plus it doesn't seem to reach full rpm under load. The Mercury dealer has to order the filter/screen that goes in the pump so I asked him if it was okay to remove the screen and install a inline filter and he thought that would be a good idea so I bought a inline filter from him. Of coarse my overactive mind starts thinking if I take the screen out will the cover go back on correctly? If so do I put the inline filter between the pump and fuel tank (makes sense) or between the pump and carb?:) Has anyone done this ?

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Fuel Filter

Rather be at the restaurant dock working on it then in the channel.... Yeah that happened..

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

If there is a problem with performance then do a compression/spark test.No problems there.Ethanol is messing up a lot of motors.It's delaminating the inside of older hoses causing clogs in the carbs and fuel filter.Check for soft hoses and junk in the filter on the motor.Check the diaphram.Install a water/fuel seperating filter.J

The Hammer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thats my project today is to change all the gas lines as they are stiff and thought of the delaminating problem. Which leads me to ask, this engine was designed before ethenal was put into the gas, is there a additive I could put in or is there nothing to worry about? This is a very good engine to me I've owned it for 4 years and has always started without hesitation and has never quit out on the lake. A friend of mine has a 90 merc new left him stranded 4 miles out on Lake Ontario, not happy and now he scared to take it out.

SweeperForce

Chief Petty Officer

A fuel filter should be placed in-line in between the fuel pump and the carbs.

Force motor pics_0006A.jpg

The Hammer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay I took the fuel pump sedement cup off and removed the screen and it looked like new and not much sedement in the cup either so I decided to clean the already clean screen with compressed air and reinstalled it because there is a check valve in there and figured I don't want any dirt there. Since I already bought the inline filter I replaced the line between the pump and carb and installed it there.