Force 50 Over Heated and Died

coolhuh

Cadet
I have a 1986 Force 50, I was out for a cruise and my engine overheated and quite. It still turns over but will not start. The compression is low, 80 & 75. I get spark in the upper coil but not the lower. I bought another coil but it only has 2 wires where the one on it has 3.

Could the 1 coil keep it from trying to start?

Is it possible to use the 2 wire coil in place of the 3 wire.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Force 50 Over Heated and Died

Don't buy any parts yet.You need to check the comp problem first.Low comp could be a bad head gasket or the cylinders scored.
Squirt some oil in each cylinder and see if it raises the comp.No help? Remove the head and check the gasket.With a good tester it should be 120pounds or more.J

coolhuh

Cadet

I put oil in each cylinder and the compression went up. 120 on the top and 100 on the lower. What does that mean?

coolhuh

Cadet

I got it running but when I disconnect the coil from the upper cylinder it does not make a difference. It runs a little rough and won't idle, so I think I need a new coil. I have a spare coil with 2 wires but my coil has 3, is there a way to make this coil work?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

If it's running then do a Seafoam treatment.Or Mercs Powertune.Does the same thing:decarb.
It should bring up the compression.It sounds like the head gasket night be blown.
Then swap coils the top for the bottom.See if the spark follows the good coil.
Do these things and then another compression test.Do you have spark testers?No idea about the coil.Post a pic.
At any auto parts store around $6.I have inline sparkies that will work and let the motor run.Get something and test the spark.Post your results.J

coolhuh

Cadet

I bought a spark tester and switched the coils, the coils are both good. I pulled the flywheel and one of the points was adjusted to where it was open all the time.
Tomorrow I will try to get it adjusted (unsure of the gap) and see if it fires on both cylinders. If so I will decarb it.
The head bolts were a little loose so I tightened them up some.

coolhuh

Cadet

Got it running on both cylinders, did the seafoam and took it for a spin.
It runs good at idle and as soon as I give it full throttle it does not seem to want to gain many RPM's. It will go maybe 5 mph. I am going to do another compression test tomorrow.
Any thoughts?