66' 80hp johnson no spark

louis mcclure

Recruit
I have an 80 hp johnson out board mod# v4al-18c ser# j2655352 I have cleaned connections and checked for shorts cleaned rotor points and cap still have no spark. motor turns over well fuel sys. seems to be clear and operating. i am hoping someone will be able to help me with testing procedures for ignition sys. I have shop manual but does not cover this mod# and only goes back to 69' some info seems similar to my motor but I would like to talk with somone who has experienced this problem

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 66' 80hp johnson no spark

That's an easy one. Just like an old car.

Unplug the spark wire from the coil, then unscrew it from the dist cap, then plug it back into the coil. Hold end of wire 1/4" way from a ground and crank engine. Does it spark off the end of the wire?

If yes, but you had no spark off the spark plug wires, the trouble is in the distributor cap or spark wires. Probably a shorted rotor.

But if no, then time to get out the multimeter. Turn key on and check for voltage at the coil + terminal. Should be 6-12 volts "depending". If no voltage, you will have to backtrack and see why not. But if it has voltage, do the same check at the coil (-) terminal, key on, and slowly rotating the flywheel. Should alternate between around 12 volts and zero volts, four times per revolution. If not, clean or replace breaker points and gap to .020". Retest to see if you got the 12 to zero volts.

By now you probably have found the problem. But if not, about all that is left is the coil and condenser. Condenser is cheap and easy to try a new one. Coil isn't that cheap.