Custom Made Fuel Tank

azzmack

Cadet
G'day All,
I'm thinking about having a fuel tank custom made for my boat and can use either stainless or aluminium. Is there one material that should or should not be used? Are there any other things that need to be taken into consideration when underaking such a project?

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Custom Made Fuel Tank

I think SS is superior to aluminum but it is considerably more expensive and also the addditional weight on your boat...dont know what size boat or tank you are talking about but keeping the weight down is always a good idea.

Additionally not sure what your long term plan is for the boat but if you install the tank right and dont foam it in possibly trapping water against the aluminum an aluminum one should last you 15-20 years easy.

azzmack

Cadet

Sorry RWilson...
Boat is a 16' fibreglass with a 90hp VRO Evinrude that is really quite thirsty. Am currently using two plastic 5 Gallon tanks and was thinking of having a metal tank made to fit under the back seats of around 18 - 20 Gallons

I'd exhaust all possibilities searching for a ready made tank first. Assuming there's nothing already available I'd go with aluminum because of weight. Also make sure the tank will meet Coast Guard requirements (I've looked that up in the past and can't remember where I found it, but I bet google knows).

Aluminum tanks can last a long long time, but that's a good point about keeping water off of it. I'm rebuilding a '79 Checkmate which still has the original aluminum tank. After a little cleaning it's in pristine condition. I've heard from other guys rebuilding older boats with aluminum tanks which were imbedded in the bilge with foam, long term water contact has pitted those severely.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Salt water will shorten the life of an aluminum tank. A custom tank will have a high price tag, in comparison to any standard tank. I would do an exhaustive search on standard tanks, and try to pick a plastic one.

azzmack

Cadet

I can get either SS or Aluminium at no cost and a good friend is a boilermaker who will fabricate for a few beers, but i know it will still be tricky to make a tank to fit around the floor shape, transom supports etc etc. Maybe a plastic tank would be a whole lot less stressful....:confused:

azzmack

Cadet

Thanks everyone!
I'll measure the space available tomorrow and see what ready made tank will fit and give me the fuel capacity i'd like for longer trips/days on the water.
Cheers from Australia!