1959 Elgin Questions

vwfan79

Cadet
I have a 59 Elgin on a aluminum Sea King that I just acquired, I got it running and now just found that the starter is fryed. Wondering where to find a new one or suggestions on where to find parts to rebuild it.

Another thing is I have been reading these forums and everyone says that the impeller should be replaced on these old motors. The motor was rebuilt about 15 years ago and stored ever since but don't know if the impeller was replaced. I am new to working on outboards so I am not even sure where the impeller is found.

Starter delco remy
model# 1113560 serial#17612
Elgin 40hp
model#574 60421 serial#s110 A4278

thanks for any info
Nick

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1959 Elgin Questions

<I have a 59 Elgin on a aluminum Sea King that I just acquired, I got it running and now just found that the starter is fryed. Wondering where to find a new one or suggestions on where to find parts to rebuild it.>

A good automotive starter/generator shop should be able to repair it.

<Another thing is I have been reading these forums and everyone says that the impeller should be replaced on these old motors. The motor was rebuilt about 15 years ago and stored ever since but don't know if the impeller was replaced.>

Doesn't make a *&^% bit of difference one way or the other as a 15 year old impeller must be replaced in any case!

<I am new to working on outboards so I am not even sure where the impeller is found.>

I haven't looked it up in a shop manual (don't have one that covers your motor) but it should be sitting on top of the anti-cavitation plate when you drop the lower unit.

<Elgin 40hp, model#574 60421 serial#s110 A4278>

The 574 prefix indicates that it was built by the West Bend Aluminum Co. Just before Chrysler bought them out.

Check your local library for a shop manual---maybe thru the inter library loan system or buy any one of the generic outboard manuals that includes your motor.