73 7.5 merc ignition problems

hrndz69

Recruit
i am not getting any spark to my spark plugs. i purchased new coils and still no spark. i tried to disconnect the orange wire to the kill switch and still no spark. i am am getting voltage coming out of the orange wire cause i have gotten shocked by it but getting nothing from the green wires coming from the stator. please help and thanks in advance!

bob1340

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 73 7.5 merc ignition problems

i am not getting any spark to my spark plugs. i purchased new coils and still no spark. i tried to disconnect the orange wire to the kill switch and still no spark. i am am getting voltage coming out of the orange wire cause i have gotten shocked by it but getting nothing from the green wires coming from the stator. please help and thanks in advance!

I am subscribed to this as I have a similar motor and want to learn.

Have you checked the kill switch? I know the switch is a normally closed switch. The wire leading to it needs to show ground if the motor is gonna run. When the kill switch is pressed it breaks the ground to that wire and the motor quits. This is on a Thunderbolt ignition.

hrndz69

Recruit

i have another 7.5 that runs and i swapped the kill switch off that engine and still no spark also have grounded the kill wire to different part of engine and still no spark. when i first started working on this engine it did have a faint spark and that was it, slowly it has lost all spark!

hrndz69

Recruit

i was just wondering if anybody had any ideas yet! thanks in advance