Flywheel removal problems 1955 johnson

anthony7

Cadet
Hey is there some secret to removing the flywheel on this bad boy? I've got the 3 bolt remover and I've been turning at it all day(see pic). The bolts are even, and I'm a reasonably strong guy(in my mind anyway :D), shouldn't this thing give at some point? I read the removal thread but I guess I'm at a loss still because it's awfully stubborn.

motorp.jpg

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Flywheel removal problems 1955 johnson

Aw c'mon, don't be a wimp. You are a strong man, tighten that sucker down. If it still won't come, pry the flywheel upward LIGHTLY, just enough to raise it in the bearings, and give the puller center bolt a light rap with a hammer. Don't bash it with a sledge. It is the shock that does the trick, not the bash.

That little motor is one of the easy ones. It will come off.

EDIT: I hope you are using Grade-8 bolts. And screw them in the flywheel 7/16", no more and no less. Anything lesser may break and make you say durn.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Agree with the "shock" thing. Not too much though. That and time and it will pop.

anthony7

Cadet

K I'll have to eat some wheaties tomorrow morning and muscle up. I can see I have some work to do in there from the peak hole the coils are cracked at the very least.

bigrockets

Seaman

Try tapping the center bolt with a brass hammer or gently with a ball peen hammer as you tighten the center bolt. Go a half turn, whack it, then another half turn etc.

bigrockets

Seaman

Try tapping the center bolt with a brass hammer or gently with a ball peen hammer as you tighten the center bolt. Go a half turn, whack it, then another half turn etc. By the way those 3 bolts do not look like grade 8. If they are cheap hardware store bolts you're asking for trouble.

bob1340

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ditto X 10 on the tapping of the center bolt. I never use a puller without a hammer. On a flywheel removal I'd say use the force equal to what you'd use to drive in a finish nail. Don't flail it, but don't baby it either. I have caused damage to stuff by just winding down on a puller, but I have yet to screw something up by tapping on the puller bolt.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Airgun would have that off in 5 seconds, if no airgun, then MC hammer it like they said.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Read FR's post above about prying up LIGHTLY on the flywheel and then tapping on your puller bolt. Prying up saves c/s bearings. Put your pry bar on top of the cyl between the flywheel and the mag plate and apply pressure.It also may help by rotating flywheel 180 degrees when doing this.