alpha 1 lower unit question

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander
Hi I just replaced the impellar in my lower unit on my 86 alpha 1 I noticed when i had the impellar top cover off that there is alot of side to side play in the drive shaft coming up out of the lower unit [ 1/8 to nearly 1/4 in ] the drive seams to work fine and the gear oil is perfect-no water or metal filings etc Does anyone know how much side to side play in normal on the drive shaft ? thanks

6meter

Chief Petty Officer
Re: alpha 1 lower unit question

Its been a while since I've had mine apart, so I can't say for sure, but if there is that much play, wouldn't that travel ruin the top seal of the impeller housing? The only other thing that I can think of is that there is a bushing/bearing in the upper half that the shaft goes into and holds it in place. More of what I feel is the case on these.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

Its been a while since I've had mine apart, so I can't say for sure, but if there is that much play, wouldn't that travel ruin the top seal of the impeller housing? The only other thing that I can think of is that there is a bushing/bearing in the upper half that the shaft goes into and holds it in place. More of what I feel is the case on these.

yes the upper housing where the splined drive shaft goes in holds it in place but it still seems wierd that the shaft would go side to side so much i cant find anything in a tech manual to address it

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

unless the bearing in the lower unit are [semi floating] it makes me nervous that im in for a meltdown

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

The gears are cut to force the shaft upwards, try raising the shaft and see if it disappears