Plywood

westexasrepublic

Chief Petty Officer
I didnt realize there was so many types...

This is what I found in 23/32"x4"x8" I guess they shave 1/32 to save money?

BcPine ULX Ext $35.98 per/sht

Arauco ACX $40.97 per/sht

should I be using one of these ply's for my Transom/deck repair?

Also what does everybody else use/recommend?

6meter

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Plywood

All plywood is 1/32" short. since you should be sealing the transom in fiberglass completely, the exterior pine or for a little more stiffness, douglas fir B/C grade. Only the "C" side might have voids. Glue those sides together. Don't use the pressure treated pine plywood. Way too wet.

westexasrepublic

Chief Petty Officer

thanks for the info, I actually read somewhere that plywood 1/32" less is refered to as "scant plywood" and normal stock at big box stores...

tdrudd87

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used the aruco ACX, good to work with.

Terry

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Out here in the arid West Tejas climate, and I count Angelo in that, you can get away with a good exterior grade plywood...spend according to your budget...and then seal it with either a good grade of oil based primer and paint...or you can go the extra 9 yards and seal/encapsulate it with f-glass resin. Make your restoration self-draining, so when you come home from O.H. Ivie you can put the bow up in the air, pull the plug and let it drain/dry completely. I've redone transoms/decks on three boats with exterior grade ply and oil-based paint and they are all still sound, thanks to the high/dry climate in Lubrock, Tejas.

westexasrepublic

Chief Petty Officer

well, Im starting to think its not that important, or not many people have much input on the subject. Which is weird since every restore Ive read so far has had to use plywood in one way or another.... what gives?

sublauxation

Lieutenant

I used BCX on my floors and transom. I can say that the BC ply is a hell of a lot more solid than whatever they used from factory on the transom and had a lot fewer voids. The original transom was still pretty solid after 30 years and it showed no evidence of ever being sealed. I'm guessing my new one will at least last 30 more years and it only cost $70. The floors, that was a different story.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

It's strictly personal and budgetary choice as to what grade plywood you choose...IMO. If you're restoring a fiberglass boat, the deck becomes part of the hull structure because it is bonded/glassed to the hull and transom. I have gone to aluminum hulls for ease of maintenance. Aluminum boats have different structure...my deck is not bonded to the hull or transom and I live in a high/dry climate with very low humidity and I only get to put the boat in the water maybe 6-7 times a year max. So I went with oil based primer/paint to seal my transom and deck...and both are exterior grade ply. My old tinny ships a little bit of water...maybe a quart...after being on the water for about 6 to 8 hours. It drains to the bilge, so I can use the bilge pump if it annoys me, or just wait til I get home and pull the transom plug to drain it. I put the bow up and pull the plug and leave it out for 3-4 hours after I get back from the lake...so it is always dry when I put her up in the garage. Guess your choice of ply depends on what you are comfortable with...as long as it's sealed, you'll be okay IMO.