Tilt/trim dosnt work can i still use the boat ?

twintrades

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey we have a 79' marktwain I/O and the tilt/trim dosnt respond. (ill make some posts abouyt that later)

Can i use the boat the way it is ??? We would really like to get some skiing and tubing in this weekend. Is it safe to use ?? I dont want to wreck my boat.
I would of corse not runn WOT. Just 25 ish for summer pulling fun.

So whats the majority vote?

convergent

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Tilt/trim dosnt work can i still use the boat ?

What position is it in? If its stuck down, then how are you going to get the boat to the water and off the trailer? If its stuck up, then you aren't going to be able to drive it.

If the trim is down (where it would be to start off from a stop) and you are able to safely get the boat in the water, then I don't see why it would hurt to drive the boat like that. If its not all the way down, then it would probably be difficult to get on plane while towing something.

robert graham

Admiral

You can use it like that as long as you don't drag the motor skeg getting in and out at the ramp.

twintrades

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh i forgot to add about that. Going in ill have it tied up with a ratchet strap. And once in, take the strap off and let the outdrive down. Vice versa getting out.

Its not stuck either way. Something in the tilt/trim department didnt work the last day it was in the water. So i can raise or lower it by hand. it just wont stay where i put it.

oldjeep

Admiral

If you can raise or lower it by hand, then isn't the drive going to flip up when you use reverse?

twintrades

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have to really lift it. But yea it might id have to try it to see if that would happen. Only time iv had to use reverse is leaving the launch site. And you dont need much just to get away. So i guess i could even just push off harder with a push pole.

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would think that unless you were to find yourself in a stuation that you really had to gun it in reverse, you should not have an issue with it. There is no "normal" need to be hammering it in reverse as to cause the drive to lift.

Now, in my fishing boat I have had the need to back out of the brush a little harder than I would like...but that's another story:rolleyes:.

oldjeep

Admiral

If it were mine, I might take 15 minutes and figure out what the problem actually is. The fact that you can raise and lower it by hand indicates to me that there is air in the rams. If you look at your trim pump reservoir, is there fluid in it? And have you done any work on the boat lately that may have caused this?

marktwainsonic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Think about not only how the drive would operate under normal conditions, but also in any emergency maneuver before you decide.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Think about not only how the drive would operate under normal conditions, but also in any emergency maneuver before you decide.

I've owned a fair number of boats that didn't even have any reverse lock, and the tilt only cylinders were not connected to the motor, they only pushed on it. If you tapped the gas in reverse a little too much, the motor would come out of the water. (they weren't exactly small kicker motors either, last one that I owned was an evinrude 85 with electric push button shift, which was actually REALLY nice! That electric push button setup was far better than any cable type shifting, even to this day.)

twintrades

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well im going to go for it this afternoon. Im not afraid of having the out drive come outof the water. ( even in full trailer mode its still under water)
So i think ill be good. Mind you its not staying like this. I want to fix it but being out of work really takes its toll on a boating budget. Bills first then our baby. After that i have gas money basicly.

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well im going to go for it this afternoon. Im not afraid of having the out drive come outof the water. ( even in full trailer mode its still under water)
So i think ill be good. Mind you its not staying like this. I want to fix it but being out of work really takes its toll on a boating budget. Bills first then our baby. After that i have gas money basicly.

Have a good one...:D

I wouldn't worry about it.

marktwainsonic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good luck! Hope all goes well :)

twintrades

Petty Officer 1st Class

well 2 times out it works great !! I just look strange at the launch site chest deep in water lifting an outdrive.... Whatever it puts a smile on everyones face and i have fun.