stalls @ reverse

texsun

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I own a '96 17'Larson w/ a 3.0 4cyl Volvo & a Cobra SX outdrive. Last weekend tried to back off the trailer and the engine would shift into reverse but would die. No problem restarting & forward works just fine. We pulled the tube and had a great day - but the reverse problem persisted. I will add that I had just put on a new prop. I don't think that's related, but I thought I'd put it out there.<br /><br />Thanks in advance.

B_Eager

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: stalls @ reverse

You are tripping the neutral saftey switch. You may have a bad ****ter cable. Running the boat like this will destroy the shifter spool in the lower unit.

texsun

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the post. Any ideas about how to isolate/troubleshoot the cause? How can I solve the problem? I had the outdrive serviced (greased gimball & u-joints) at the dealership about 45 days ago - could it be related?

MrDumb

Seaman

I had the same problem this year. What I did to fix it was when you shift into reverse there is a switch that instantly kills the motor and that switch was out of center. So it was trying to kill the motor in reverse, unless you gave it alot gas to get the switch to make. So if this is your problem try to recenter the switch.

texsun

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Can you tell me where these switches are? Are they on the side of the carb or in the outdrive? What do they look like? I really appreciate the help. We will be going to Lake Quachita at the end of the month and I would sure like to have this solved.

MrDumb

Seaman

They are on your forwrd and reverse linkage on the driver side of your engine. Look at what is moving in your engine compartment when you shift from foward to reverse you cant miss it. Once you find it you can manually pull the switch up and kill the engine(just to verify you found it). Let me know how it works?

texsun

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to wait 'til after the 4th to look at it closer. I'll certainly let you know. Have a good 4th.

texsun

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok - got a chance to look at engine compartment closely. I could not see any switches. What I did see was a throttle cable going to the carburator and a shifter cable that goes along the drivers side into the engine compartment and then goes thru the transom and toward the top of the outdrive. No switches. <br /><br />Can anyone tell me what a "shifter spool" is that Wave Hopper spoke of. Sounded like serious stuff and I certainly don't need to make the problem more expensive. <br />Thanks Very Much!

MrDumb

Seaman

Look at the topic stalls coming out of reverse just below you there are some web pages that might be of some help to you?

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

You do not have a shift interupt system on this VOLVO , drive .If you are stalling going into any gear, focus on idle speed ,then propping , then elsewhere.

texsun

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks hondon. Sounds like you are very familiar with the unit. The engine idles fine (750rpm or a little more) and shifts into forward just fine. It only stalls going into reverse. Per my original post - I did just put a new Hustler prop on the week before. Its a 14 3/4 x 17. I'm really pleased with the performance. Do you think that could be the problem? I really appreciate your help!<br />p.s. The dealer says it would be three weeks before they can look at it.