No one can answer this?

Lootas1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My 1986 'Rude 50 with manual tilt, won't release. I can flip the lever up to tilt and it moves the arms a bit but not enough to allow lifting of motor. There are two coil springs there and a rod but I'm unable to figure out why it takes two people, one on either side, to move the brackets by hand while one lifts the motor to tilt. Sunday this caused me to be stranded on a muddy beach for eight hours with my prop buried when I ran ashore on an out tide just long enough to potty my dog. Help! Help! Please, please, help!

jalbert34668

Seaman Apprentice
Re: No one can answer this?

have you checked for grease cert? I know in those cylinders with coil springs around shafts, if not properly lubricated in salt water they will eventually seize up!!

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

Do you have a "tilt aid cylinder" on yours?

Lootas1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Don't see any place to grease the springs but I run it in salt all the time. Rinse it down real good after each use. Also, the motor has been repainted and the springs were painted. Not sure what a tilt aid cylinder is. There is a cylinder with a rod coming out of it, a lot like a shock absorber. Is that what we're talking about?

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

Yes that tilt assist is like a shock absorber.....new ones are pricy. Your tilt does have a grease zerk. Here is a link to look at your motor/tilt parts.
http://www.boats.net/