fuel problems

yamahardro1

Cadet
hey guys,
i have an '87 merc 3.0l. i recently did a full tune up, replaced the starter, installed new fuel pump (pump was badly corroded, diaphragm was severely dry-rotted)

problem: engine cranks, i have good spark. NO FUEL. i hooked up an auxiliary tank directly to the inlet of the pump and still, nothing. took the line off carburetor and checked, completely dry. please help!!!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: fuel problems

Ayuh,... The pump ain't pumping, take it off,+ see Why...

yamahardro1

Cadet

ayuh,? what are you,.. doing karate? ..everyone loves a smartass, so thanks.

pump is brand new, meaning all internals are brand new. is there a way of checking the lobe within the block that causes the pump to function? are you supposed to prime these pumps prior to install.

anyone with something resembling an intelligent answer would be much appreciated

NHGuy

Captain

Bond-O says ayuh all the time. I think he's from Maine.
Oh and BTW his word is gold. So pull off that pump and hand cycle it to see if it works. If it does you have to make sure you have a good fuel line back to your tank so the pump can prime itself. If the line is holy or the tank pickup won't give gas you mighta not needed a pump.

Bondo

Staff member

pump is brand new, meaning all internals are brand new. is there a way of checking the lobe within the block that causes the pump to function? are you supposed to prime these pumps prior to install.

Ayuh,.... Brand new merely increases the odds of it Workin'...
Like I said,...
Take it Off the motor,...
Pump it by hand,.. run hoses from vessel to vessel,+ Pump it...
Does it Work,..??

While it's Off,.... LOOK into the block,... What do ya See,..?? Does it Move,..??
Do you have the Right pump,..??

Are the lines clear,..??

Lyle29464

Lieutenant

ayuh,? what are you,.. doing karate? ..everyone loves a smartass, so thanks.

anyone with something resembling an intelligent answer would be much appreciated

If you have a 23 year old merc. you need bond-o, god and a couple of others on the forum.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I'd be surprised if you get any answer now.

You might slide on over to another board where the answers might be more to your liking.

I don't think I could even understand what your problem is.......

yamahardro1

Cadet

figured it out guys, and ok, ok, i apologize for the attitude, this just severely urked me!

so after going nuts for 2 days, i decided to completely disassemble my brand new pump....ha! found the gasket between the bowl and midchamber was installed incorrectly from the factory. flipped the gasket, put it all back together, cranked for 3 seconds and presto, runs like a champ.