fuel system troubleshooting

john bland

Cadet
I am new to boating and am having problems keeping my boat on the water. Once the motor is primed and running it stalls out. I believe it could be the fuel pump does not work, as I can again prime it and it will start,run then stall again.1.)Is there a sure way of checking to see if it is the fuel pump If it is the fuel pump: 2.) is it hard to get to and change? 3.)my motor is a 1971 60 hp evinrude and seloc does not have the manual in stock so I will have to read the on-line version has anyone used this service :is it easy to understand? Or should I just send it to a repair shop? I am not wealthy so money could be a problem!

nadornati

Cadet
Re: fuel system troubleshooting

im having similar problems.. heres my two cents... rebuild carbs, check the jets see if there clogged and gummed up.. do a basic tune up.. spark plugs, water pump, lower unit oil.. see what happens after all of that.. if still no go, check your compression and spark

john bland

Cadet
re cadet

re cadet

I have done a tune up and all . The motor runs great when I prime it then just stalls as if out of fuel once I prime it again it runs again until it seems out of fuel.Is ther a way to check the fuel pump prior to buying a part I may not need? The gasket inside the filter is a little worn, would that cause the problem?

HighLineCBR

Petty Officer 2nd Class

All I can say is start looking for the problem in the tank and work your way up to the carb checking everything in between. You'll save a lot of money that way. You can start replcing your pump, carburator and everything elese only to find that you have water in the fuel.

-Check your fuel, is it old with water in it?
-check your hoses, make sure they are not clogged, including pickup tupe
-check/replace filters
-check fuel pump (take off hose from the carb and turn the engine over a few times, if you see fuel come out of the tube then your pump is fine (maker sure you checked everything above first and you dont have a clog)
-check the carb
-also check spark plugs and ignition settings

good luck

jalbert34668

Seaman Apprentice
Re: re cadet

Re: re cadet

If you can keep yoour engine running by continuly primeing it while it running then its not bad fuel its your fuel pump. your looking around 60$ and is very easy to change. I have an evinrude 140 hp v4 and fuel pump went uot on it, the best way to tell is if your running your motor keep priming it not to much or you will flood the carb and basicly have to wait until the carb drains before it will start again. I would prime the motor and continue primming Once every 30 seconds or so if it stays running then its definetly fuel pump!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Take off the pump to carb line at the pump end. Put in a temporary hose into a container. Crank the motor into that and watch the flow.
Strong consistent spurts = pump O.K.
Strong spurts tapering off = failing pump
Dribbles to nothing = Failed Pump.
Use the muffs to save the impeller though.