1957 Evinrude Fisherman 5.5hp

Toyota2888

Cadet
I just sold my 2005 Triton Tr-186 so now I?m going back to my john boat, and i have this 1957 Evinrude Fisherman 5.5hp that my dad has had since I was a kid, and I?d like to get it going the last time it ran was like 14 years ago but it was kept in garage building, and is still clean as a whistle, I?m in the process of doing a fuel pump conversion, and while I?m working on it what are some parts I need to go ahead and replace?

does this motor have a water pump or just a impeller? I have seen the impeller listed in the parts section of this web site but nothing on the water pump.

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: 1957 Evinrude Fisherman 5.5hp

Change out the impeller and do a carb cleaning and possible kit. Check the impeller housing when apart to make sure it's in good shape. Change out the lower unit oil. Pull the flywheel to have a visual at the points and coil's to make sure the are still good. Check spark plugs, probably a good idea to replace as well.

Toyota2888

Cadet

ok thanks for the fast reply.
so does this model motor have a water pump or just a impeller?
and what kind of oil for the lower unit?
what kind of oil & gas/oil mixture for the motor?

bktheking

Vice Admiral

An impeller is part of the water pump, almost all outboards have a housing that the impeller sits in which make up the contents of a "water pump".

- lower unit oil- 80/90W / OMC/BRP HiVis

Gas oil mix- 24:1

bktheking

Vice Admiral

As much as it will hold, remove the bottom and top "slotted" screws. Fill from the bottom until it comes out the top. Put the top vent screw back in and then the bottom. If it has a phillips screw, don't touch it.

Toyota2888

Cadet

Ok I?m in a rut now, I took the lower unit off and was cleaning inside the water pump housing and turned it up side down to let the water run out and the shaft that the drive shaft connects to and then connects to the prop I believe. it fell out and now when I put it back in there, and turn the prop the shaft does not spin the drive shaft. There is a little slot cut in the shaft and another slot cut where it connects down in the area where the prop is, so is there a key that goes in it so the two slots connect?

bktheking

Vice Admiral

You therefore removed the upper bearing plate which didn't need to be removed. The shock has a keyway which corresponds to a slot in the pinion gear. The key should still be in the shock absorber, if not well it's either in the gearcase or around where it fell out, without it no go

bktheking

Vice Admiral

PS- you'll probably need a new gasket under that bearing plate unless you can use the old one.

Toyota2888

Cadet

The keyway is not in the shock; I?ll look at where the shock fell out and try to find it. I have taken the gear case apart but not the gears I don?t see the keyway should I take the gears apart or not? And how would I do this?
Can that keyway be ordered from somewhere?