Tach reading

Incorrigible

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Engine is a J225TXESS (225hp 1990)

Starboard engine tach only works below 2200rpm

Any power setting above that and the tach reads zero.

Any thoughts? I'm not familiar enough with the settings on a tach to know if there is an issue there.

It's worth noting that the port engine tach works flawlessly.

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Tach reading

Is this a new tach that you just installed or one that has been on your boat that just developed a problem?, if it is one that just started having a problem then changing the settings on the tach would not benefit you in any way. If you change the settings it would give you an incorrect reading on the tach. If this is a new tach that you just installed then it could be on the wrong setting, most tach's have a selector switch on the back labeled either in the number of Poles or the number of Pulses, if you want to know the correct setting, usually a simple call to the local Johnson/Evinrude shop will get you the setting. Just tell them the model number of your motor and they can tell you where to set your switch.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The correct setting is 6p.

Attachments

• Tach3.JPG
    Tach3.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 0

Incorrigible

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's a brand new tach going into a rebuild project. I'm fairly certain that the setting is on 6, and the wiring is correct. I will verify both. Based on the performance I'm getting, I'm thinking it's either a loose connection or a short somewhere that is grounding out or breaking contact due to vibration at higher RPMS (only thing I can think of, barring an error in the settings)

Thanks for the wiring diagram. Do you know where the sender is (in other words, where does the gray wire lead to?)

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer

ezeke, just a quick question, wouldn't this also be the same gray wire that is contained in the plug just under the ignition switch on the OMC control boxes?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner