tohatsu 2010 4hp

perrycell

Recruit
I purchased a 4hp tohatsu outboard from an online dealer.
filled the onboard tank with fuel and engine started and ran as expected.
Closed fuel valve engine sat a few weeks. Next attempt engine would not start.

Question 1. The level of fuel in the onboard tank was just below the fuel pump and the engine would not start until I added fuel until it was above the fuel pump. Is this normal??

Question 2. Engine now runs rough and occasionally stalls at low rpms. It seems to have happened when I starting using an external tank. Contacted a local dealer and they said if they have to clean carb it is not covered under warranty. Is this correct? Even if there was something in the fuel the filter should trap it . tried fresh fuel and changed plug. I just wanted to know if anyone had similar issues before i bring it in.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: tohatsu 2010 4hp

1) No

2) Carburetor cleaning is not covered by any manufacturer as they have no control over your fuel source or your maintenance practices. Having said that, if the engine is just a few weeks old, the dealer can file a warranty claim on a carburetor cleaning. They just need to clear it with Tohatsu first.

The way to avoid this problem in the future is to run the fuel out of the engine with every use and to not use fuel over 30 days old. Tohatsu's official position on this is to use fuel stabilizer and to not run the fuel out. Unfortunately their view does not take into account water absorption by the fuel or evaporation. So....Run the fuel out, use clean new fuel and have a reliable engine.

Mark SF

Seaman

"filled the onboard tank with fuel and engine started and ran as expected."

These engines are shipped without oil. I assume you did fill it up?

pvanv

Admiral

I purchased a 4hp tohatsu outboard from an online dealer.
filled the onboard tank with fuel and engine started and ran as expected.
Closed fuel valve engine sat a few weeks. Next attempt engine would not start.

Question 1. The level of fuel in the onboard tank was just below the fuel pump and the engine would not start until I added fuel until it was above the fuel pump. Is this normal??

Question 2. Engine now runs rough and occasionally stalls at low rpms. It seems to have happened when I starting using an external tank. Contacted a local dealer and they said if they have to clean carb it is not covered under warranty. Is this correct? Even if there was something in the fuel the filter should trap it . tried fresh fuel and changed plug. I just wanted to know if anyone had similar issues before i bring it in.

Since the fuel has to pass through the pump, it can take a minute or more for gravity to get it past. Cranking will engage the pump, but it will only deliver a little per pull, at relatively low pressure when pulling at low RPM... so if the motor sat for more than a week, and the fuel evaporated out of the carb, leaving a varnishy residue, using an external tank and primer can provide both higher volume and enough pressure to push the fuel into the bowl.

Than same varnishy residue can restrict the low-speed passages in the carb, causing idle problems. The solution is probably a carb dip bath and meticulous cleaning, but if the varnishing is very minor, you may actually dissolve some of it just by running good fresh gas at low speeds for an hour.

The prevention is as Elvin said: Run the carb out after every use.