Paint Ideas

GKT

Seaman Apprentice
So i just bought a centerconsole 20 ft fishing boat and it has antifouling bottom paint on the bottom but its chipping off and i want to paint the whole outside...sides and bottom of hull with just regular paint. it will be trailored. i was thinking of using sterling paint. i want to keep the sides white...glossy white, but what about the bottom? flat black or flat white?..or should it be glossy too? and what paint should i use for the bottom because i dont think using expensive paint down there would be a good idea...suggestions please..ill upload pics

Attachments

• tn.jpg
    tn.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 0
  • tn1.jpg
    tn1.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 0

GKT

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Paint Ideas

or i could use interlux perfection...i havent decided yet

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

There are a lot of people on this forum who have used the interlux, rustoleum, easypoxy (mixed reviews on this one), and a few others. Really any of them will do with good results.

For the bottom of the boat. Since it will be trailered, you won't need the antifouling paint.

It is a great looking boat, and Good luck on the paint!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

You must get all the antifouling paint off the bottom. You also want to sand the entire hull to at least a 220 grit finish. I have used Interlux Briteside polyurethane paint with good results. I did the "roll and tip" on the hull and sides and sprayed the deck with the stuff. Roll and tip is real handy to do the bottom, when the boat is on blocks.

The Roll and Tip looks pretty good, until you compare it with the sprayed part of the boat.

Most of the two-part polyurethane paints are still for above the waterline use, so I chose to use the single part paint for convenience. Note: It was difficult to get a good sprayed finish, because you needed a fairly heavy coat for shine, but then you risk runs on vertical surfaces. The horizontal surfaces were easy.Overall the finish was real good, and should prove to be tough and longlasting.