Steering Question

jeep187

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 2004 Suntracker Fishin Barge w/ 2005 Mercury 50hp. When i bought it i noticed the Anode Trim Tab was missing from the motor. The guy said he removed it because it because he was told it would steer easier.

I went to the dealer and had one installed and it is harder to steer in both directions.

The cable and helm are new, and steering wheel and motor moves free when disconected from each other.

If anyone has any knowledge on this please help.

Thanks in advance

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Steering Question

The anode should have little to no effect on steering.

I'm not sure what the problem could be but I would first make sure that you aren't expecting too much from the steering system. Could it be that your previous boat had hydraulic steering?

You should also make sure that you have no sharp bends in the steering cable, expecially at the two ends.

Good luck.

Jeep Man

Commander

I have the same issue as you. I have always considered it to be the nature of the beast. At slow speed or stationary, there is no issue. A flat bottom or V hull boat is up on plane, whereas a pontoon is still very much in the water. Try turning a telephone pole in the water:(, and then try the same with a length of 2x12.:)

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Try turning a telephone pole in the water, and then try the same with a length of 2x12.

Good analogy!!!! LOL!!!!!!!