what is the cable for YAMAHA 40?

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade
YAMAHA 40 hp. 2 stroke. C40PLRS, believed to be a 94. Abandoned attempt to replace the motor mounts and am putting the thing back together. Person before me started to pull the powerhead and walked away from it. Determined its going to live its saltwater life out with what mounts are left and am reassembling it as best I can.
The shift and throttle levers are external. Under the cowl I found a thin cable that is attached to the throttle linkage, is about 8 ins. long and can only go in a mounting hole that is in the guard that houses the rope for starting ( also has an electric starter ) . Although it is connected to the throttle linkage, it appears to be controlled by the shift linkage. Anyone have any idea what it does. Cable has like a small hook on it. Could it be for rope starting interlocking ?
I hate putting other peoples stuff back together. Not surprising a lot of mechs. will not touch something this old. thanks FRED

btruong

Seaman
Re: what is the cable for YAMAHA 40?

im no expert, and i own a suzuki, but i believe its for the neutral start switch. it disables the electric starter if youre not in neutral gear. just my 2 cents. hope this helps!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

it disablese the manual start if in gear by wedging a piece of plastic in the pawl area.
the electric is disabled by a switch on the shiftlinkage down low on the fwd stbd side of the block.

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Makes sense now. Looks like something went down the barrel to engage the paws. Been long removed. Turning into an education each morning until the sun hits me. Been trying to go by an exploaded parts view for that motor I found on a web site. Realized that the picture I have been going by is for a 3 cyl., this one only has 2. No wonder nothing matches. Became suspicious that it is a different power head and cowl mounted on the leg/ transom bracket. Lots of electrical stuff just laying in the cowling, no place to mount them.
Been a daily driver for years, bunch of women on a pontoon boat, going out fishing and swilling beer. Been reliable until the concern about the motor mounts came up. Just trying to get the propeller turning again and she will be happy. Told me this morning that there is a problem with the controls. One woman has to hang off the back and work the shift lever while another uses the remote throttle and steers. Gets them to their fishing hole and back. FRED

Angler1979

Recruit

Can you post the exploded veiw of this motor or a link to it I have the same motor

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Wish I could but I do not know what I am working on. The numbers say it is a 94 commercial which is a 3 cyl. but the power head is a 2 cyl. Did find exploaded diagrams on a site after I did a search under YAMAHA PARTS. Site has parts breakdown but you need to have a motor number. I deleted the site address since it did not help me. FRED