Hit something, engine doesnt seem right.

UFO4Rent

Recruit
Newbie here. Hello all......This last friday night i hit something under the water and mangled my prop and skeg. After that the engine would run fine in neutral but kept stalling out in gear. Trolled back to the dock. Got it home, took off the prop and put the muffs on. Prop shaft runs straight as can be in forward. Motor seems to shake more than i remember though, even in neutral at idle, its a evinrude 1982 50hp 2 stroke. is it possible i could of threw out the timing by hitting something? I have a new prop on the way. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Hit something, engine doesnt seem right.

Newbie here. Hello all......This last friday night i hit something under the water and mangled my prop and skeg. After that the engine would run fine in neutral but kept stalling out in gear. Trolled back to the dock. Got it home, took off the prop and put the muffs on. Prop shaft runs straight as can be in forward. Motor seems to shake more than i remember though, even in neutral at idle, its a evinrude 1982 50hp 2 stroke. is it possible i could of threw out the timing by hitting something? I have a new prop on the way. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Well, possible but unlikely. It might have partially sheared the flywheel key. But shouldn't have happened if the flywheel was correctly installed and torqued.

jonesg

Admiral

They run smoother in the water anyway.
Did you remove the bent prop?

UFO4Rent

Recruit

Yes, removed prop and ran it on muffs at home. Seemed like it ran more rough than before.