prop ventilates

hotmod

Cadet
I have a 1994 60 Hp Mercury on an 18'sun tracker (Bass Buggy) pontoon & at times you can be running down the lake at full throttle & with just small chop the motor will rev up for a second & then catch again. I have had the prop hub checked & it is ok.
The trim tab is missing from this motor & I am wondering if the open cavity could be causing this. I have also been told that a Hydra-foil might help solve this.
The motor is set as low on the transom as it can go. I have considered adding a 6" manual jack plate to experiment with lowering the motor.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

eastont

Chief Petty Officer
Re: prop cavitates

Check the angle of trim on you motor. It could be too high and when entering choppy water it rises above and grabs air.

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The missing tab should not be the cause of your problem. The hydro foil or the jack plate should solve the problem but you should first make sure you had a pontoon specific prop and it is of the correct size. That may be a cheaper solution.
And by the way, you have a ventilation problem, not a cavitation.

Jeep Man

Commander

Is your motor a long shaft version? I had similiar trouble with my previous pontoon and found the only solution was getting the right motor. Lowering the motor further may result in swamping your motor. Pontoons create a lot of turbulence and can cause a problem if the motor is too low.
I have not used a hydrofoil, but from what I have read, it can cause as many problems as it solves.