I'm going to put a bullet in my motor!

73Glasspar

Seaman Apprentice
So ........ I got all the kinks worked out of that 74 chrysler 45hp and she "was" now sea worthy. I made it half way across the lake when........ It just quit and no chance of firing back up. Here I sit ...... on the bow of the boat with a paddle. About 30 minutes into this fun filled day......... Someone came along and towed my sorry azz back. I popped the flywheel to find a broken keyway. I think its time to shoot this old horse and move on. Today is a new day and its time to go bigger and better. I will be looking at an 85hp Evenrude this afternoon. That kind of pony's should push my little 15 foot along nicely. She is rated at 90hp max....... Better days may be just around the corner :cool:

eastont

Chief Petty Officer
Re: I'm going to put a bullet in my motor!

Good idea. I had a Chrysler back in the 80's and it was such a POS. When you mentioned the broken keyway, I laughed. I must have replaced a dozen of them.

Evinrude are very good stable motors. I had a 1984 70hp and it ran great for years. And I think it it still running great. I sold it in 1995 along with the boat it was attached to.

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Before I put a bullet in it, I would advertise it for parts.

There are others out there who are still trying to keep theirs running. I imagine it would be worth a little less with a 30-06 round in the block:rolleyes:.

But, if you still want to put her out of your missery, might I suggest using differnet rifles and shotguns (with various types of rounds) and test which does the most damage:D.

73Glasspar

Seaman Apprentice

Oh yea......

I failed to mention. On this joyous day....... as I am towing the boat home (Doing 65mph) a tire on the trailer decided it was time to expire. Was this a sign that perhaps I should have just disconnected and kept driving? Never to look back? lol ! Aaaaaaah The joys of toys.........

bowtie2440

Cadet

Oh yea......

I failed to mention. On this joyous day....... as I am towing the boat home (Doing 65mph) a tire on the trailer decided it was time to expire. Was this a sign that perhaps I should have just disconnected and kept driving? Never to look back? lol ! Aaaaaaah The joys of toys.........

Sounds like my kind of luck:rolleyes:

cjac2879

Seaman

That same thing happpened to me!!!1

FINALLY got my force sea-worthy, picked her up at the shop after dropping $500 to get her runnign right, blew a damn tire on my way home... No spare/no lug wrench big enough

Thank god the marina let me borrow a tire to get me home... I returned the favor by buying 2 new ones from them.

73Glasspar

Seaman Apprentice

Well, Looks like the Chrysler is is coming out. I am going to buy the keyway today and put it back together....... and up for sale she goes. I bought an 85hp Evinrude last night. Should be nice on my 15' Avalon Glasspar.

antique fisherman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a 1966 50 hp. which has been a very dependable motor. If you decide to sell it Please me know first along with price . Thank You