help with my evinrude

kevin_in_utah

Recruit
I have a 1966 Evinrude Big Twin 40. this is the first boat i have owned. I bought it last year the boat is a 1958 alumacraft flying D. i found some on here that look just like it. and the motor is a 1966 Evinrude big twin 40. any way last year it ran fine other then it didnt seem to have much power and it used a lot of gas. this year i got out the boat and started the motor up and it ran fine. i cleaned up the spark plugs and it ran a little better. i took it out fishing . and when i got it in the water. it started up and ran for a second then died. it has a pump bulb on the gas line that when it is working i can pump the gas up to the carb then when it is primed the extra gas will come out the front of the carb like a over flow. now what seems to be happening is the gas bulb is pressuring up and no gas is coming out of the over flow. i have pulled off the gas line befor the filter and after the filter and i can pump gas threw just fine. then i pulled the line off the carb and can get gas to that point. i have pulled and drained the fuel from the drain at the bottom of the bowl on the carb. then i can pump the gas again. then it pressurizes agin and will not come out threw the over flow. does anyone have any info about this problem? i am thinking it is some kind of a float problem.. but the gas should still come out of the over flow . right? so any held would be greatly appreciated.

thank you

bigrockets

Seaman
Re: help with my evinrude

Its time to re-build the carbs. You have a float needle valve that is not sealing properly and letting the fuel overflow the bowl into your engine cowling. Get the OEM carb kit if possible. Also get a manual and look at this forum and youtube to see many great videos of carb rebuilding. While you are at it you should replace the fuel lines with alcohol resistant lines and get a plastic fuel tank if you are using an external tank.