RPM's @ WOT

MAXXIE

Chief Petty Officer
This is related to my "Throttle swap" question. 1985 Bayliner Capri bowrider W/ 85hp Force O/B. What should the max RPM range be for this set up? I'm alone in the boat & at WOT I'm hitting 4900 maybe 5000 RPM. Should this be higher? It sounds like the motor has more in it. I asked another question re: throttle swap, because when I bought the boat the guy said the only issue it really had was the throttle was "upside down", I don't know what caused this, he never said but the day I picked the boat up the mech. had repaired/jimmied the throttle to operate normally I'm thinking the seller asked the mech. to try to fix it real quick so I didn't back out of the deal because I was asking about the throttle.. Like I said, it sounds like the motor has more in it. Should I be more in the 5500 range with this boat & motor? I was just going to replace the throttle all together. What do you think??

PaulO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: RPM's @ WOT

Clymers manual states your RPM range is 4500 - 5500 for an 85HP engine.

It would be interesting to see what the result would be in decreasing prop pitch to the next available size.

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Maxxie,
I'm on a 17' maxum with a 1988, 85hp and operate at 5250 at WOT. Anywhere between 4500 and 5500 is good, but closer to median is best. What pitch prop are you using?

MAXXIE

Chief Petty Officer

I'm not sure what the pitch is, it is a S.S. prop & I'm sure it is the factory prop. I'll need to look up how to figure out what the pitch is, but I feel it's a throttle issue because of the repair's that were made before I bought it. Not sure what to do now.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The factory didn't put stainless on any Forces.You should be able to run at 5500 WOT.The prop probably brought the rpm's down.The probably switched
say a 19p stainless for a 19p aluminum which will bring it down about 400 rpm.Take the prop off,it will have the #s on it.If it says 19 then you need a 17.J

MAXXIE

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks JJ, I'll check it out after work today. I was under the impression that this year motor came with the SS prop, everyone I've seen for sale, ebay & locally seem to have the SS prop on it. I'm always scanning for sale ad's & ebay for the same boat as mine to check them out: price, condition, custom mod's, stuff like that & they all have SS prop's. ?? I Da'kno ??.... I'll get back to ya'll later, Tanx again, MAXX

jkust

Rear Admiral

Our BL with 85hp has a 19 on it and gps's out in low 40's. The dash only has a speedo but it really hums at WOT. Would be interesting to know the actual rpm's. Funny thing is they used the same dash for the o/b and I/o so the dash has a bunch of circles on it where guages would be.

MAXXIE

Chief Petty Officer

I don't think it would be vary hard to add a tach onto your dash & motor. I just had mine out last night to paint the benzel because of pitting & there were only 3 wires + the wire for the light on it. I'm no mech. but it should be very simple to add one to your boat with the advice you can get from this forum. Anyway, I'll look into the prop's pitch think, but I'm convinced it has something to do with that throttle, never know though, we'll see what happens, Thanks

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Maxxie: prop pitch and diameter should be stamped into the hub under the prop nut and washer.

I don't understand "upside-down throttle since these can only be installed one way. Send me a private message with your email. You can send me a couple of photos and I will tell you if the carbs are set up correctly.

At 5000 RPM though, you are right in the center of operating range and most likely running well.