Flywheel gear replacement 3.0 LX

smartwork

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Boy, it's sure amazing how a $10 ignition switching going out can have such a ripple effect. I posted a while back about the switch going out which I thought resulted in a damaged starter. Looks like a damaged flywheel gear is still causing us "noise" while starting. I examined it and found just a couple teeth that have enough wear on them to be causing the noise. Ugh! So, I'm looking at replacing the gear, but not looking forward to it mainly because of frustration that it was all caused by a simple part failing.

So, what am I looking at? Probably my biggest question is "What's the best way to lift the engine out if you don't have any over-head pulley system?" Tips or advice on the repair?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Flywheel gear replacement 3.0 LX

a good strong tree, tow it to me.
remove drive, remove engine, rear cover and dust guard, remove coupler, flywheel, knock off ring gear, heat new ring gear in oven, place ice on flywheel, have a beer or two, slip ring gear on flywheel , have 3 beers,let cool .

smartwork

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh, that's all there is to it? ;)

Wow, the drive actually has to be totally removed? Hmmm... hating that ignition failure even more now.

smartwork

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Can this be done by just raising the engine out of the compartment and without actually removing it from the boat, or should it come all the way out?