4.3 L OMC ball gear shaft stripped

1985OMC

Recruit
I have an 1985 4.3 L OMC that was running great at speed when the engine over-revved and lost power. I have discovered the ball gear shaft splines are stripped. The metal is rusty along the shaft past the oil seals in the intermediate housing. I think the component that the shaft articulates with (Engine coupler?) is wrecked too but that part isn't in my shop manual.<br />What would cause this? I was running the boat with a "sting ray" hydrofoil and I also was running it at full "up" trim because it goes faster at a given throttle range. Could that have caused this or is there something else.<br />I was able to take off the stern drive and intermediate housing ok, but my shop manual does not cover the bell housing. Is there a way to get to the engine coupler w/o taking the engine out of the bilge?

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 4.3 L OMC ball gear shaft stripped

Generally when this situation happens we focus on the waterpump shaft.What lead you to the ball gears and coupler?

1985OMC

Recruit
Re: 4.3 L OMC ball gear shaft stripped

When the engine was runing, I could see that the ball gears were not turning. Hence, the problem is between the crank shaft and the ball gear. When I pulled the ball gear shaft the splines were chewed up.