lower unit seal job

shesse

Cadet
I am about to endeavor on a quest to replace all of the seals in the lower unit of a 1978 85hp Johnson. I just purchased the motor and knew the seals were bad so I got a good price. I called the local marina and found out that they get away with highway robbery, 30$ kit for seals 20$impellor, = a 350$ job I guess. Has anyone done this job. I am aware of an old boat mechanic I can refer to for help or special tools, but he does not have the time. I am going for it. Any advice??? I have a manual on the way and will start when it gets here...:rolleyes:

shesse

Cadet
Re: lower unit seal job

It is a selco manual, I have only had expierence with clymer... I'm assuming that selco is just as good...

shesse

Cadet

Sealed the lower unit, followed the instructions in the manual 3hr, job. Everything went very well:D

glengold

Petty Officer 1st Class

i have to do this on my 1977 55 hp evinrude. U said the seloc online manual is worth it?? I've heard bad things about it on this forum

shesse

Cadet

I feel the manual is more difficult than a clymer to navigate, however it did the job, just spent more time reading than I would have had to with the clymer, at least I believe, I've only had expierence with the motorcycle manuals. Hope this helps...
;)

Fed

Commander

I think $350 to put all new seals in a LU and fit a new impeller is a good price when you consider they would pressure test it & have to give some sort of warranty.
At 3 hours my hat's off to you shesse, how did you torque the pinion nut, did you have the special tool?

glengold

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks fed, those are the things i worried about. I've got a good mechanic who can do it if i bring him the lu. also, my oil wasn't that bad so I'm gonna change it and put new screw seals in and see how long it takes to turn cloudy again. Hopefully it won't!!!!