1977 evinrude 115 water pump or impeller

IdahoBoy

Recruit
I just got my first boat, a 1977 glasstron. it has a 1977 evinrude. the previous owner said that he started it with the hose on it and it over heated, and needd a water pump. My father however stated it needs an impeller. what is the difference and can i do this job myself? i have basic mechanical know how and plenty of tools.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1977 evinrude 115 water pump or impeller

Your father is probably right, and a new impeller is an excellent place to start.

The lower unit has to be removed in order to replace the impeller. Once you have the unit off, you can determine how much of the water pump needs to be replaced.

Seven screws need to be removed from the lower unit: two on each side, one in front of the trim tab, the one holding the trim tab, and one that is hiding above the trim tab.

The shift rod needs to be disconnected. The pin that holds it is under the carburetors. To release the pin, loosen the screw that forms the fulcrum of the bellcrank and spread the fingers of the bellcrank as shown in the thumbnail.

This is all covered in detail in the factory service manual; you should have one if you plan to do your own maintenance: http://www.outboardbooks.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=search.main

Attachments

• Bellcrank.JPG
    Bellcrank.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 0

IdahoBoy

Recruit
Re: 1977 evinrude 115 water pump or impeller

Thanks ill let you know if i have any issues