Johnson 1975 2HP Questions

G

I have two questions regarding my 1975 Johnson 2R75D motor:

1) How do I get the prop off so I can change the seal. I removed the cotter pin which was quite an endeavor, btw. Now the prop won't budge. What do I do next? After seeing the white buildup on the cotter pin which was frozen in its hole, I am assuming this motor might have seen saltwater in its life.

2) I pulled the bottom unit so I could replace the water pump impeller and seal. I am finding it impossible to get the splined drive shaft fitted back into the drive gear in the upper housing. Again, any ideas that may help me?

This is a pretty small motor to give me such big problems! I have looked at two manuals and they say "remove propeller" and "reinstall drive shaft". They just forget to say how.

Thanks for any suggestions in advance.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Johnson 1975 2HP Questions

1) Look at the parts breakdown for your engine, the prop should just slip off, unless it is frozen on. If that is the case you are just going to have to work with it.
2) The drive shaft is splined on both ends, may have to rotate the power head or the lower unit to align the splines. Make sure that the water tube is lined up.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Those props would corrode on terribly. Your only hope is get it very hot. Of course tha will also destroy the prop shaft seal. OR, leave it on. But don't be hitting rocks and stuff, because you don't have any shear pin protection.

Are you trying to get the upper end of the shaft entered or the lower? If the upper, you just have to keep poking and feeling till you find the hole. It CAN be done. If lower, try holding the gearcase in various positons to get the pinion gear to settle in place while you gently try to slip the shaft in.

G

Thanks for your quick response.

My problem with trying to pry the prop off is a combination of the materials being aluminum and the parts are small. Is there anything I could soak the housing in to facilitate the removal without destroying something?

G

I used a flashlight and saw what I was up against, And I had it installed in 5 minutes.

As far as the prop goes, I'm leaving it as is. If I have to change the oil in the bottom every other time I use it, it will be no big deal.

What a sweet little motor. It starts right up so I am ready to tank test it. When I run it, where should I see the discharge water come out? I don't see the normal tube I see on larger motors.