Steering replacement advice

bigrockets

Seaman
I have a 1989 Bonita center console 17 fishing boat. It has the original steering system and I'm thinking of replacing it because it's getting a little stiff. It has an evinrude 48 SPL which I think I'm going to upgrade to a 70 HP engine in the near future. Are steering systems more or less universal or do I have to be concerned with engine brands etc? I don't think I will need hydraulic steering considering the size of the boat. iBoat has them on sale now and it appears they vary by length. Do I have to remove my cable and measure or can this be estimated? Thanks

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Steering replacement advice

Teleflex NFB 4.2, 14' Cable...

marcortez

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't estimate.....it will be wrong.

Pull out the old cable and measure it 5 times.....

Fed

Commander

I'd find out where the stiffness was coming from before I did anything.

bigrockets

Seaman

Just happens the telefles units are on sale here on iBoats. I got the old unit out last night and will measure it tonight just to make sure. It has a lot of old dried gummy grease in it. Thanks for all the advice.

You MIGHT be able to get by with just purchasing a new cable. Whichever way you go be sure to read the instructions for measuring the cable, teleflex has this on thier web site, can't remember if iboats has a link to it or not.