Etec program and oil use

turkey22

Seaman
I am using 50 in my 90hp 2009 ETEC. Went to look at getting it switched over to burn 100 oil and the shop told me anything newer than 2006 that the engine did not need an update to do so is this correct?

I am in need of running the 100 during cold weather. Should one run the 100 year round?

If no settings are changed on the engine will the use rate of the 100 and 50 be about the same or will the engine burn more or less of one?

Thanks

d.boat

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Etec program and oil use

I wonder why it isn't explicitedly addressed in the owner's manual for the engine? Seems odd that there's any question on whether or not it needs to be done.

muskrat

Chief Petty Officer

Sound like you are asking two questions.With the oil setting just run the oil tank down as fear as you can.Than fill it with xd100 and run it with that oil for couple of weeks.Take it to a dealer & have them switch it over to xd100 oil setting.And a upadte is when you have a running change or a running problem.But dont update if the motor is running ok.

freetime99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If that e-tec is running smoothly as set up, you would be well-advised not to change a thing in programming. You can put the 100 oil in as-is and run it.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

If that e-tec is running smoothly as set up, you would be well-advised not to change a thing in programming. You can put the 100 oil in as-is and run it.
Wrong! XD100, to get its benefits, requires a sw change to recognize the oil is NOT garden variety TCW-3 oil. Any BRP E-Tec certified dealer can do this in a couple of minutes. Whether it needs this change or not depends on the original setting. If the motor was set up for XD100, it should have a tag near the oil tank stating so.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

When the mtr is set up for XD 50 or TCW 3 the Emm tells it to pump more oil ,therefore using more oil. When on XD100 it uses less oil if set up for XD100. If you're going to use it in cold weather I'd leave it set for the XD 50 and just run the XD100 in it. As it is a lighter and better oil recommended for cold weather.If you want further information call BRP at 1-847-689-7090. This is their customer service number.