Outdrives has 4-6" of Play

pgibson

Recruit
This is my first post here, and its about my first boat.
I have a 88 Lund 2100 Baron with a 4.3L Mercruiser inboard. I have noticed that the outdrive can be moved by hand back and forth about 4-6 inches without the steering wheel moving. I thought it was normal until my friend who has a boat commented about it. I have noticed that at slower speed the current seems to move the outdrive around causing me to drive like a drunken sailor. :) I looked at the steering and it seems to be right on...when I steers it moves the cable and no play...I think all the play is in the actual outdrive. Someone said it could be the gimble bearing...I think that is what they said. Does anyone have any thoughts?

zbnutcase

Commander
Re: Outdrives has 4-6" of Play

Not gimbal bearing, but gimbal RING. Its the part that the drive and trim cylinders attach to, and its probably worn out where it connects to steering shaft. Real common but spendy problem.

sethjon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Spendy problem that better get a fix real fast.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

The FIRST thing that you need to do is retorque the two gimbal ring clamping screws to 50-55 ft. lbs. They are the two bolts at the top of the gimbal ring. They have nuts on the backside, so you will have to turn the outdrive side to side to get to them. Should tighten things up considerably. Should be part of annual maintenance. Let us know how it works out. Good luck.

jtmarten

Master Chief Petty Officer

The FIRST thing that you need to do is retorque the two gimbal ring clamping screws to 50-55 ft. lbs. They are the two bolts at the top of the gimbal ring. They have nuts on the backside, so you will have to turn the outdrive side to side to get to them. Should tighten things up considerably. Should be part of annual maintenance. Let us know how it works out. Good luck.

+1
But, with that much play, I'd torque them down very slow, you don't want to snap off the finger that gets tightened down. I doubt you'll get all that play out. May be able to get most, then plan on gimbal ring replacement or repair later on.
V-hulls have low speed wander, so some of your drunken sailor driving may be attributed to that.

pgibson

Recruit

Hey everyone...thanks for your help. I LOVE THIS FORUM! :) I will try to tighten them down carefully and look to repair the ring this winter.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Hey everyone...thanks for your help. I LOVE THIS FORUM! :) I will try to tighten them down carefully and look to repair the ring this winter.

If retorqiung does not get all the play out and you decide to change the ring, you can save some money by having it rebuilt, talk to Ron about repair here: http://www.jrmarine.com/products/gimbal_repair.htm If it tightens down to the point of no play, then it does not need further repair. Good luck.

dirtyoldman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had twice that for slop and tightening the bolts fixed it all. It's not loose at all now.

sethjon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Better sooner than later.